Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Wish I'd Said That! Oh Wait -- Actually, I Did

Reader dommyluc writes:

You almost lost me with your 1983 rave about the ABBA "Singles" album, but in the same issue you reviewed a Yoko Ono album with a line that won you my heart:

“All right, all right, I feel sorry for the poor woman—but I feel sorry for Jackie Onassis too, and if she made records I wouldn’t take them seriously either.”

Heh. I had completely forgotten both of those reviews.

Here's the ABBA. (Like the Yoko, it appeared in the May 1983 issue of The Magazine Formerly Known as...).

And I stand by every word of it.

Granted, if I was writing the Yoko review today I probably wouldn't be quite so snarky.

Oh, okay, I probably would.

6 comments:

Gummo said...

I have no patience for people who pretend to like Yoko Ono's music because people were mean to her 40 years ago.

She sucks, she's always sucked. The closest she ever came to listenable was Walking on Thin Ice, and that was because of the backing track.

Anonymous said...

Great review! I should mention that I've taken the rabbit hole plunge into the blog that is posting your old stuff from Stereo Review, really interesting stuff.

You really were a seer. In your review of Marshall Crenshaw's debut this caught my eye: "Ironically, what is clearly one of the great rock records of the Eighties might have its initial success on country radio-the crossover potential is there."

Surely, you've since heard The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's version of "Mary-Anne," a 1983 B-side?

Bob in IL

The Kenosha Kid said...

Okay, but when Sublime and Lush released their first records, did you rate them "Abba?"

ChrisE said...

Bob in IL - Actually, "Mary Anne" was one of the 12 tracks on Marshall Crenshaw's self-titled debut album, which was released in 1982, not '83. As far as I know, "Mary Anne" was not a B-side to any of the singles from his first or second albums.

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

ABBA has also released an album of their hits sung in Spanish : Oro - Grandes Exitos

Anonymous said...

This comment made me laugh waaaay harder than it should. Well done