Wednesday, December 03, 2008

From 1968, with groovy visuals by the Joshua Light Show©, enjoy Francis Albert Sinatra going folk rock. It's just like being at the Fillmore, except with a single malt scotch in your hand, rather than a joint.



That song, of course, is the oddly haunting "Cycles," by the still babe-alicious 60s scenester/actress/songwriter Gayle Caldwell. And before you sneer, you should know that no less a worthy than Rickie Lee Jones did an absolutely astounding minimalist version of it on her 2000 album It's Like This, which behooves behearing. Be nice to me and I'll send you the MP3.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember a Jackie and Gayle on Shindig.

That must be her...

dave said...

Didn't Bob Gaudio write a "concept" album for Frankie - "Watertown"?

MBowen said...

This was played a fair bit on the station I listened to (WHDH-AM in Boston) when I got my first radio as a kid. To a ten-year-old, this song was the essence of what being a grown-up was all about - rueful, yet philosphical.

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Encounters with greatness, whoamusanyway style: I have a friend, who has a son-in-law, who is a fine tenor sax player who has a musician friend who knows somebody who got him free tickets to see the Joe Piscopo Sextet in Chicago last summer. And he (the fine tenor sax player) told me Piscopo’s big-band Sinatra tribute show is quite good.