Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Slightly Sappy (So Sue Me) Seasons Greetings

Okay, I'm going to get a little self-indulgent here for a minute, so cut me some slack if you can.

Basically, I just wanted to say that this time last year I found myself, quite improbably, falling in love. And the Christmas song I kept hearing in at least two TV commercials was the ineffably touching "All That I Want" by The Weepies .

Which, as it turned out, was, improbably, about the improbability of somehow finding the right person to fall in love with.

Above the rooftops...the full moon dips its golden spoon. I wait on clip clops...deer might fly. Why not? I met you...


A year later, I still can't hear the thing without getting a little misty, sentimental old fluff that I am. So I thought I'd share it again (I think I posted it last December without much personal comment) as sort of a video Christmas card to you all.



So Happy Holidays, everyone, with the sincere hope that what the new year brings you makes you as happy I've been since last Christmas. However improbably.

11 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

Merry Christmas from a fellow sap. All the best to you in 2009 and thanks for all the great posts and music.

Anonymous said...

A very merry, Steve.

And may I just mention my favorite modern Xmas, song, "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses?

No other song I've ever heard so perfectly catches the strange magical solitude of being single in the big city at Christmastime. Back when I wa single in the city, that song warmed my heart and gave me hope.

Here's one version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acrM-KoMHiI&feature=PlayList&p=70010FCABCB5F034&playnext=1&index=7

Anonymous said...

She's a very lucky woman.

And that's a sweet and wonderful song.

Happy holidays to everyone!

steve simels said...

Gummo:

I met the late Patti Donahue, the singer for the Waitresses, a couple of times.

She was adorable, if not quite the happiest camper. Died young, alas.

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to you too, Steve, and to your loved ones, & to all the many fine hearts and minds I’ve come to admire here at PowerPop. What a great year this blog has had.

dave™© said...

Awwwwwwwww... *sniff* Sorry, there's something in my eye...

Shaw Kenawe said...

Best to you stevarino!

Baci e abbracci!

Kid Charlemagne said...

God bless us, each and every one! I give thanks to my man Steve and the lovely Mary for your love and passion for music and for all our friends on this blog! Best wishes for a happy holidays and a joyous and glorious New Year! Cheers!

TJWood said...

Merry Christmas to all at PowerPop.

Anonymous said...

Happy holidaze and best always to my crazy Uncle Simels and (it must be said) his lovely and super-cool lady. "To the TOP, Johnny..."
- bill buckner

TMink said...

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and the best of New Years to all of you. And congratulations on finding love Steve!

God bless us all this new year.

Trey