Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Tuesday Moment of Dark Psychedelia in E-Minor

Okay, pardon another little self-indulgence, but here's the fabulous Floor Models and "Fade Into Grey". Our fairly blatant rip-off of "Eight Miles High" as heard on that recently re-discovered cassette of our earliest (circa 1981) home demos I bugged you about a couple of weeks ago.
,



This is one of the first songs we worked up as we were getting our act together, although I think writer and lead singer Gerry Devine had it lying around for some time prior to the band. In any case, the forthcoming Floor Models The Album We Never Made CD project will feature a much better recorded version, done a couple of years later, after we'd written an instrumental bridge to the thing.

But I love -- nay, lurve -- the backwards guitars just before the final verse here; kudos to our producer, Beatlemania alumnus David Grahame.

9 comments:

FD13NYC said...

Fine, fine band those Floor Model guys. Another good tune here. When could we expect the CD project to materialize? Very anticipated. I could almost make one myself.

steve simels said...

The plan is to have the CD ready for Christmas. I'm mastering the audio next week; then a certain shady dame of my acquaintance will finish the cover art and we're off to the CD duplicator end of October or early November.

Anonymous said...

Love this version, both backwards and forward guitars. That David Grahame.

Gerry, very pre-Flo Mo, performed this during an open mike night at Folk City (maybe when I had my short-lived Hoot Night soundboard gig). I remember thinking I would have given my [select male body part] to have written a song like that. I'm gonna guess the three-song set was Fade Into Grey, Montchanin, and Traveling Man (the Ricky Nelson tune, which he did a killer version of).

AP

Jeff Alan said...

... and my next film may even use, nay, WILL use the "fade into gray" effect.

Anonymous said...

You should be proud -- and yeah, it does need that instrumental break.

Anonymous said...

Glad a latter day version will be on the CD.Not that this one is w/out merit.Drums are amazing ,however !

Dave said...

Excellent stuff. Looking forward to the CD.

Blair said...

This is a really great organic song, especially for the 1980's. I especially enjoy the fresh harmony vocals. Also, I've added you to my blogroll.

AWeasel said...

Loved the track Fade into Grey. I would love to hear the cd when it's available.

The Count