Friday, February 10, 2012

Dodgers to Return to Brooklyn! Oil Discovered Under Gracie Mansion! Pope Issues New Encyclical -- Says "Sex Lots of Fun!"

And in other headlines I thought I'd never live to see, here's one that I just got in an e-mail from a publicist:

The La's to Headline New York Sound City on 3/12/2012
New York Sound City’s highly anticipated evening performance session will take place at Webster Hall with a feature headline performance from The La’s, marking their monumental return to the New York stage with their first show in the Big Apple in 20 years.
You know, I'm pretty sure I saw that last La's performance in NYC, which if memory serves was at some small venue as part of the New Music Seminar.

Apparently, frontman Lee Mavers has had a change of heart since poo-pooing the whole reunion idea in 2009.

Here they are on Letterman back in the day, promoting the best first album by a Liverpool pop-rock band since you know who's you know what. Just in case you don't understand what all the fuss is about.



In any case, word's fail me. Except -- I literally can die happy now, even if I can't con my way into the show.

13 comments:

Brooklyn Girl said...

Oh jeez ... I've always LOVED this song, never knew who did it. Thanks!!!!

Elroy said...

Same here on this song. Since I never heard anything else get played, I figured they might be a one-hit wonder - is the rest of the album nearly as good?

steve simels said...

The album?

Every track is to die for.

steve simels said...

Starting with this one...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4mAy-HlmQ

portly neighbor said...

IMO the bass guitarist's post-La's band, Cast, first album, "All Change," is pretty damn good as well.

steve simels said...

Yup, terrific piece of Who-esque powerpop.

Anonymous said...

butt out Shafer! Will Lee adds nothing to this song, ditto Paul's percussion thingy.

I took some CD's to re-sell last week, had a second copy of the La's and the store didn't want it. Surprised me, I thought it was scarce, sought-after.

Of course since I had TWO copies, maybe not.

Anonymous said...

I sheepishly admit to really liking the version by Sixpence None the Richer, especially as it got inserted into the remake of The Parent Trap, which, from a certain perspective, is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Anybody notice what the CBS Orchestra plays as they slide into the commercial break?

AP

matthew said...

Oh, Steve....
The still photo of this great clip had a You Tube "play" arrow over the top of Lee Mavers' face, which, at a glance, led me to imagine you had published a clip of the young David Bowie, which in turn led me to imagine you had written another sulfuric anti-Bowie diatribe, and suddenly it was 1974 again.

On the whole, though, I'll take The La's.

Matt Wright

Unknown said...

Listening to "There She Goes" one more time makes me think that it is close to a perfect pop song. (I love how, in the bridge, lead singer Lee Mavers sings the same melody, but only the chords change. That's what I'd call very economical songwriting. And brilliant.)

Hey, Matthew:

"The still photo of this great clip had a You Tube "play" arrow over the top of Lee Mavers' face, which, at a glance, led me to imagine you had published a clip of the young David Bowie..."

I thought it was DB, too, for a moment. And I'd forgotten how little Steve likes Mr Bowie.

Hey, AP:

"Anybody notice what the CBS Orchestra plays as they slide into the commercial break?"

Yep. Very nice.

tommy quest said...

and isn't letterman taped in the old ed sullivan studio where the you know who's made their american tv debut?

buzzbabyjesus said...

To me, "Power Pop" implies pop with balls, and The Beatles and Big Star had'em. This doesn't, and is therefore lightweight. And the bass player looks to be dancing to a different song.

Anonymous said...

I bought their album this weekend based off of Steve's recommendation. He's right; its almost perfect from beginning to end. Perfect listen on the way to the airport at five this morning.
-BlakeS