Monday, February 27, 2012

These Foolish Things Remind Me Of...

From a reunion show in 2007, please enjoy pop punksters Cheap Perfume, at some wonderful low dive in New York City, doing to "Boys" what neither The Shirelles or even The Beatles ever quite got around to doing.



The short version: These dames originally got together in 1979 and quickly became a fixture on the NYC rock scene centered around C.B.G.B.'s and Max's Kansas City, although somehow I completely managed to miss them back in the day. Which of course is actually a good thing, because I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever...



...that I would have made a massive ass of myself over every one of them had I chanced across them in a club. If you know what I mean.

In any case, they broke up a few years later, but finally got back together for the reunion show seen above. They've been at it off and on since, and now they've just released their first recordings ever -- an E.P. on Turn-Up Records (home to power pop god Richard X. Heyman) featuring a blistering studio version of "Boys" and three new originals mixed by the incomparable Ed Stasium, who's made superior guitar-rock records with the likes of The Stones, the Ramones and Living Color.

You can -- and very definitely should -- order the disc over at CD Baby here.

6 comments:

FD13NYC said...

I'm almost sure I caught them at one of these venues. The attraction of girls rockin' out was very alluring at that time. The epitome was one hot August night in 1976 when I saw The Runaways at CBGB's, that was a hot show.

It's nice to see the old broads popping out to try it again. Cool stuff.

Gar Francis said...

Now that's the way r&r should be, raw & dangerous.

Billy Sol Hurok said...

Raw & dangerous? These gals could fry eggs on their G-spots!!!!
:-)

Anonymous said...

the screen grab of the video clip looks like Paul Stanley.

Jonny Scaramanga said...

What a killer version! This has definitely made my life better. Original stuff on the CDBaby samples sounds good too. I'm tempted to take a plunge.

steve simels said...

Anonymous said...

the screen grab of the video clip looks like Paul Stanley.


She's the one I have the biggest crush on, so bite me.
:-)