Monday, September 25, 2017

It's Chris Hillman Week: Part I -- Doing the Ttwistfrugwatusijerk to a Song About a Welsh Mine Disaster

From his just released new album (his first in a decade) Bidin' My Time, please enjoy the incredibly great Chris Hillman and his remake of The Byrds' "Bells of Rhymney."

Hillman is one of my genuine all-time musical heroes, but I'll have more to say about that later on in the week.

In the meantime, this is just fricking gorgeous.




In case you've forgotten, here's what it sounded like on The Byrds' debut album from 1965, back when the world and I were young.



I'm kind of a purist on this sort of thing, so I never thought I'd say this, but I like both of these versions pretty much equally.

And a special coveted PowerPop No-Prize© to the first reader who identifies the literary reference in the title of today's post.

9 comments:

steve simels said...

Have I mentioned the record is produced by Tom Petty?

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a week of posts. Part of what's really impressive about Hillman's career is that you could probably do a week on just the great stuff he did with the Byrds, but then there's worthwhile stuff he did with other groups and solo, too. If those are coming, I'll let them be surprises.

J. Lag

djstorm said...

Thanks!I really like this!Maybe someone interested in similar guitar samples,i left link here -
www.lucidsamples.com

pete said...

Derek Taylor's liner notes to the first Byrds album?

steve simels said...

Pete -- it's not Derek Taylor. He did the notes for the second album.

It's a guy named Billy James who did the notes for the debut.

But you get the prize, my friend.
:-)

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, good ears as usual Steve.

Captain Al

Jai Guru Dave said...

We should all age that well!

I hate him just for that hair alone.

danny1959 said...

The choral vocals at the end have always given me chills. I'm glad he kept them.

pete said...

I regret the error.