Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Your Tuesday Moment of Words Fail Me

From 2015, live on Sirius XM, please behold Chris Cornell and a jaw-dropping unplugged version of his "Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart."

I was never particularly a grunge fan back in the day, and to be honest, the whole Chris-Cornell-is-the-Greatest-Rock-Singer-Ever meme occasioned numerous arch-raised eyebrows from me over the years. Sure, objectively, he had a really powerful instrument and his own sound, but the style/tradition he came out of was just not my thing. Still, when a friend turned me on to the studio version of "Nearly" a while ago I became an instant convert. And when I stumbled across that live video last week I was genuinely gobsmacked again at how great both song and singer were.

BTW, I have not been able to determine who that cello guy on the left is, but Yo-Yo fucking Ma's got nothing on him. I mean -- wow!

[h/t Joe Benoit]

5 comments:

steve simels said...

Testing…testing…

Is this thing on?😎

pete said...

I consult my kids when it comes to '90s bands and they rate Cornell at the top.

Anonymous said...

Great singer if you like the genre...
A sad,sad person who needed help.
I'm truly glad to have,so far, lived 72 years without those demons.
With apologies to Lucinda - my life has been car wheels on a gravel road, sooner or later though it's been smooth asphalt

rob

Anonymous said...

No two ways about it, the guy had a great voice. Good looks and charisma to boot. And he wasn’t a ridiculously annoying frontman, either. Soundgarden did some great stuff. I met him once at a Peter Murphy gig in San Diego. He was quiet and calm but didn’t seem too drugged up. Looked like your average oxy/Jack Daniels buzz. He was a big fan of Murphy. You can tell from Cornell’s music that he loved “Bela Lugosi’s Dead.” He was in the same row as me and got to talking about tunes. At first he was cautiously hesitant, but then he let his guard down more. He had an affinity for Julian Cope as well. After the show he asked if he could buy us a drink. We knocked a couple back at the bar inside the Spreckles and talked music. Nobody ever once mentioned Soundgarden or any of their Grunge contemporaries.

VR

Always Late With My Kisses

elroy said...

Think Bryan Gibson is the cellist

https://bryangibson.com/