Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Capt. Al's 21st Century: Part III -- Seriously, This Kid Really IS Lydia the Tattooed Lady!!!

[As attentive readers will recall, our old friend (and more important, Friend of PowerPop©) Allan Rosenberg, aka Capt. Al, has been toiling on a series about his fave recent artists for a while now. The second installment of these musical musings appeared here last week (see below). Now, as promised, here's episode le troisieme! Take it away, you old sea doggie!!! -- S.S.]

Welcome to the “Best Rock & Roll Music of the 21st Century, Part 3”, by Captain Al

If last time (Part 2) we discussed wonderful “Lunchpail Musician” Sarah Borges, this time we swim in to the other end of the same musical pool to discuss Lydia Loveless. If Sarah represented the rootsy side of the type of music I love -- music influenced by the likes of say the Rolling Stones -- Lydia comes at us with Patti Smith and Americana vibes in her musical genes (jeans). She gives off a feeling of risk-taking in both her life and in her music. And her music challenges you -- she’s a wild child and smart as all hell!

Let’s start with an example of Lydia at her edgiest/most in your face musically:

That kind of performance and song is what originally attracted me to her. She rocks, has great lyrics and an in your face attitude. Basically, Lydia has it all.

From her most recent album:

You can see how more than ten years in the rock-and-roll game has simultaneously worn her down, sharpened her edges and made her continue being her defiant self!

Finally, a song from her her great documentary Who is Lydia Loveless?. Except the video itself isn't available to embed (you can see it HERE).

In many ways, minus the heavy “cosmic poetry” I consider Lydia the 21st Century’s Patti Smith. Words, music and attitude combined into a potent rock-and-roll mix. She truly is among the best of this century.

Alas, Lydia rarely tours in the New York area but the next time she’s around here I will finally catch her in live performance.

I have to!

Meanwhile if you don’t know her music it’s time to catch up! Just like Sarah and Feist she’s the real deal -- somebody who carries the rock-and-roll tradition forward into the 21st Century.

Alrighty, Captain! And may I just say, and for the record, that unlike Sarah and Feist, who I really hadn't paid much attention to until your recent endorsement, Lydia has been a total crush of mine since I first heard this one in 2014.

I mean -- wow. She's like my favorite rock-and-roll chick since Chrissie Hynde ever. No question.

In any case, thanks for the music, pal, and I'm looking forward to episode four next week!!!

5 comments:

Allan Rosenberg said...

Yo gang! I was not aware that Steve would not be able to embed the "Who is Lydia Loveless?" segment on the blog page. Please click on the prompt to see it. She is a force of nature performing live and you really should see it!

Captain Al

steve simels said...

A friend of mine got it right — I like ‘em disheveled.😎

Anonymous said...

The bowed double bass in More Like Them is a true rock and roll moment.

- Paul in DK

steve simels said...

An e-mail I got from Jai Guru Dave.

"Still can’t post a comment on PowerPop, because it asks me for my URL, and I don’t know what to put there.
Maybe you could post on the blog that some people don’t know what to do with the new comment format; and ask if any of your tech-savvy readers can tell us what to do."

Anybody know how to resolve this?

Anonymous said...

She's got some interesting songs and I like her approach. But I'm not all in. Patti Smith? Chrissie Hynde? I don't think so. No. I saw her at Pappy & Harriet's early this year. It was a decent. My only quibble was that she did too many from her latest album. Nine out of the ten titles. I know she doesn't play the same set every night but it would have made me happier with more songs from Somewhere Else. That's the release I like the most and it's from ten years ago already. Time flies.

I wonder if she peaked too soon. New album drops Friday.

VR

btw Pappy & Harriet's rules. It's a bit of a drive, but I've got friends in Joshua Tree. Some go back to the 1970's. A lot of great stories there. Saw Squeeze there the other day. Patti Smith is coming in a month or so. Paul McCartney did a "secret show there in 2016. I was lucky enough to be among the three hundred or so who attended. Rusty tipped me off. That place has a bitchen vibe. I liked it best when Harriet was running it (after Pappy died). A couple of women bought it from Harriet after the turn of the millennium. They did their best to preserve the atmosphere.

VR