Thursday, August 15, 2024

Okay, How Do You Say "This is What This Blog is About" in Gaelic?

From just now in 2024, please enjoy wonderful be-Rickenbackered Irish pop/rocker Barry Walsh...

...and his infectiously Revolver-ish debut solo single "Rescue Me."

To paraphrase Chico Marx, that's a good one, eh boss? I mean, as its auteur says, and not immodestly in my opinion, it has "more hooks than a Fisherman's hat."

(It's also quite a wonderful palate cleaner after yesterday, and none too soon, I'd say, but of course that's a seperate issue.)

In any case, I'm informed that Barry used to be in a '90s Irish power pop band called The Fireflys, who were named after Groucho's character in Duck Soup, so I love them unreservedly. (Here's a fab video of them on Irish TV back in the day). I am also informed that the above new song was mastered at the legendary Abbey Road studio and is now available on the charmingly monikered Rufus(heh!) Records label.

You can find out lots more about Barry -- and listen to more of his music -- over at his official website HERE.

7 comments:

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

I like the song

the firesign theatre said "THIS is the future - you got to LIVE it or LIVE WITH it" and I agree with the sentiment of this song that things have not turned out as well as I had hoped but as John Lennon said "the dream is over - and so, dear friends, we've just got to carry on"

some people will recognize the gospel quote in the lyrics

Sal Nunziato said...

Excellent!

steve simels said...

And may I just say that I'm quite insufferably pleased with the coinage "be-rickenbackered" ?

Rob B Mullen said...

Steve - had to laugh when I watched the Firefly video - As the camera swept across the audience they looked like they should have been on the Lawrence Welk show.
Tough audience ;-)
rob

Anonymous said...

Of course, the Beatles. But there are a host of other ghosts evoked here. The Hollies, Raspberries etc. Well put together and catchy, though I'm not crazy about his vocal on the leads. Too boyish and sissified. It's mucho hookerooni but I wonder if it loses flavor over repeated listenings. Also, I'm hearing just a tad of Freddie & the Dreamers in there, which is not a plus.

Rufus T. aside, the Fireflys did not impress. Weak and forgettable.

Thanks for posting this confection. I wish the guy well.

VR

danny1959 said...

R.I.P. to great power popper Greg Kihn. I hope he gets a mention tomorrow,

Anonymous said...

Wow. He was a really decent person. Saw him open for Blondie in 1978. Later in that same year, I saw him open for Tom Petty. That was the night Del Shannon guested with the Heartbreakers. Only saw him one time more in 1980 headlining over the Blasters at the Roxy. This was before the two big hits. I really liked a song of his called "Remember." Now's certainly the time to do that.

cue it if you wanna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoDd0rSpyZ4

VR