Monday, August 05, 2024

Songs for Sentimental Old Fluffs (An Occasional Series): Special "Sweet-Talking Me Again?" Edition

From 2014, please enjoy in breatheless wonder the sensitive stylings of veteran cowpunks Nashville Pussy(!) and their tenderly romantic ode to "Before the Drugs Wear Off."

I don't know about you guys, but when I heard that song I thought -- god, I wish I was still dating.

In all seriousness, while I knew of NP by reputation, I had never heard any of their music until Friend of PowerPop© Sal Nunziato linked to the above over at his invaluable Burning Wood yesterday.

Needless to say, my reaction was -- where have those guys been all my life? And, yeah, I'll probably be spending the rest of the week researching the rest of their ouevre.

(Don't worry -- I won't flog that publically. Heh...he said flog.)

And speaking of inspirational verse -- it's gonna be hard to top this.

Well you're meaner than shit
Hotter than hell
10 months pregnant but you can't even tell
You got it all, you got it all
Let's get it on before the drugs wear off

I should also add that their most recent (2018) album is called Pleased to Eat You. As the kids say -- I'm not worthy.

6 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

I own the 2 CD "best of." It's got all you need.

ChrisE said...

Is it just me or is there something terribly attractive about unrepentance?

Anonymous said...

I have no NP, but was a fan of the band they grew out of, Nine Pound Hammer, who, judging from NP's song titles, plied a similar trade.
C in California

Anonymous said...

jeez, that reminds me of seeing them and the toiletboys somewhere. don hill's? i can't remember but it was fun. lot's of sweat, smoke, fire and single people too. anybody from nyc remember the toiletboys?

e***

Sal Nunziato said...

Yes on The Toiletboys. And I miss Don Hill's. Played there a few times, too.

Rob B Mullen said...

Let's not forget - Arlo Guthrie
Alices Restaurant ;-)
rob