Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hello, Budokan!

Once again, unexpectedly, today I've found myself with time on my hands and have used it to continue programming my mix-tape masterpiece in progress -- Great Lost Singles of the 90s. Here's the latest entry.



From '93, that's Cheap Trick lead singer Robin Zander's killer, and obviously relevant to our current political situation, "Reactionary Girl." A great song and record to be sure, but we should mention that it also appeared on Wonderwood, an absolute masterpiece by its composer, should-be-a-household-word power pop god Rob Laufer. It's currently out of print, but if you have a little disposable income, you could spring for it here. Trust me -- you won't be disappointed.

4 comments:

steve simels said...

Memo to self:

No more Cheap Trick-themed blogposts.
:-)

Sal Nunziato said...

I already told you I thought this was the greatest song ever...sort of. It's my fault.

Mister Pleasant said...

Steve - give those of us on the Left Coast a chance to respond before you cancel future Cheap Trick posts. Having been part of an audience that boo'd the Tricksters as the opening act for the Kinks in '75, I changed my tune soon afterwards and now cannot imagine power pop without them.

Zander is still an awesome vocalist. "Reactionary Girl" is a great tune which I have never heard before. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

Zander started out as a folk singer, and "Reactionary Girl" and the rest of the CD was, I believe, an attempt to explore with other musicians (besides the Tricksters) his depth and range as an artist.

Unfortunately, the CD didn't sell well, and when Robin was asked at a Q&A I attended in 1998 if he would do another solo album, he made it clear that this would be his one and only solo project.

Too bad. He's actually a very good song writer and guitarist as well as an amazing singer.