Monday, February 09, 2009

La Vache Qui Rit

The late Ernie Kovacs does to The 1812 Overture what really needed to be done.



I realize that this has nothing to do with power pop per se, but I think we can all agree that it's the greatest and funniest music video of all time. Edited, I might add, the old fashioned way -- with an Exacto knife and Scotch tape.

Incidentally, I've been looking to post this from YouTube for what seems like ages; this DailyMotion thing is new to me, but they seem to have a lot of stuff you can't find anywhere else.

6 comments:

TMink said...

I did not see his stuff the first time around, but whenever I see it now I am struck by his wonderful sense of the absurd. Very Pythonesque, but before they were performing and a contintent away.

Great stuff.

Trey

Kid Charlemagne said...

What about the Nairobi Trio?

steve simels said...

Well, they're good too, obviously.
:-)

Anonymous said...

It was edited live on a TV studio control room switching console which makes it even more amazing.

ROTP(lumber)

Anonymous said...

I'd bore the shit out of all of you by defending the music, which is surpassingly brilliant, but that's beside the point here ... it's simply true to point out that you had to break a few eggs to make a nation, though.

And that Ernie Kovacs was a stone fuckin' genius.

Long live Percy Dovetonsils.

dave™© said...

I remember when PBS ran "The Best of Ernie Kovacs" back about the summer of '71... I was in junior high and just amazed at this stuff. I was literally on the floor in hysterics during this, esp. when the cow's head started spinning in a 360 degree circle. My father, who had seen the shows when they originally aired (a scant 10 years earlier?), was probably never prouder of me...