Thursday, April 22, 2010

Unsolicited Song of the Week (An Occasional Series)

From Lake Charles, Louisiana and their eponymous 2009 debut album, please enjoy self-proclaimed America's Newest Hitmakers Research Turtles and their plaintive 21st century power ballad (for want of a better term) "Kiss Her Goodbye."




I must admit that these guys hat tip to the Rolling Stones album title hooked me instantly, as did this claim from their bio -- "they’re a band that knows where they come from but don’t give a damn." In any case, the Turtles music, which draws from Brit Invasion pop, their own Southern roots, and several different strains of punk, might as well have been designed with my mind in mind, and "Kiss Her Goodbye" has lodged itself in my cerebellum for a couple of days now, to positive effect.

For more on the band, including a link where you can download the entirety of the aforementioned (and very fine) album (for free!), make sure you check out their droll and user friendly website.

9 comments:

The Phantom Creep said...

Okay, that song's a keeper. Now I have to check out the album...

FD13NYC said...

Definitely a keeper, good song. Nice post, enjoyable music for a change (no offense Steve but for a while there...)

I'm gonna check out the CD and the EP

Gummo said...

That IS nice. A bit of Squeeze in the vocals, too.

I will definitely check out more of these guys. First new band in a while to pique my interest, thanks, steve!

TMink said...

Very cool.

Trey

Wendy said...

Too bad they only seem to perform south of the Mason-Dixon line ...

TMink said...

BG you say that like it is a bad thing! 8)

Trey - from Nashville

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

definitely a good new one. Thanks Steve.

MBowen said...

Nice - I'll check them out!

Another recent release that I heard recently and really liked: the self-titled album by Army Navy.

Army Navy - Saints

Army Navy - My Thin Sides

Unknown said...

Shameless self-promotion time:

You can read more about the Research Turtles and hear a few more of their songs over at Peter's Power Pop.