Friday, April 23, 2010

Weekend Listomania (Special Contempt For the Audience -- That's What Killed Dennis Day! Edition)

Well, it's Friday and you know what that means. Yes, my Oriental...

Okay, I can't go on with this charade any longer. There IS no Weekend Listomania this week, and yesterday's clue was completely bogus.

The truth of the matter is that something pressing in the real world [hint: music was nvolved] came up, and I simply didn't have the time to do a traditional Friday offering.

So in the meantime...please enjoy (from 1967) New York City wimp-rockers Every Mother's Son and the greatest Monkees song the Monkees never recorded -- "Didn't She Lie"...




...which has absolutely nothing to do with anything except that I happened to be humming it this morning. Plus, I have a theory that if these guys had been born forty years later, they would have been Vampire Weekend, but that's a subject for another post.

In any case (and I really mean this) a coveted PowerPop No-Prize will be awarded to the first reader who guesses just what, exactly, I was otherwise engaged in when I should have been posting video clips of the worst kazoo solo of all time or some such.

13 comments:

dave™© said...

You were interviewing legendary San Francisco DJ Terry McGovern about HIS version of "Pachalafaka"?

Anonymous said...

Weasels recording session.

ROTP(lumber)

Feral said...

27/7 listenings of the re-released "Exile on Main Street"

Heard a couple of the previously unreleased cuts - pretty damn good.

NYMary said...

Reading an as-yet-unpublished biography of an obscure pop band? (crosses fingers)

steve simels said...

Feral -- you're coveted No-Prize is winging its way to you via coveted planaria train as we speak.

Writing about Exile for the magazine formerly known as stereo review. Money is involved...
:-)

TMink said...

I thought maybe your calender was wrong for April 20th. Great Monkees song by the way!

Trey

Feral said...

Woo-Hoo! I'm livin' large tonight!

(yeah, my life is pretty pathetic, can't even type, what's 27/7?)

steve simels said...

Incidentally, the guy from Every Mothers Son on the left end of the picture is named Bruce Milner (he was the keyboard guy). He's now a very VERY big deal celebrity dentist in Manhattan; most of his patients used to be rock stars or in the business. Rolling Stone did a piece on him (as part of a larger where are they now thing) in the 90s.

I bring it up because he used to hang out at my watering hole until recently...

tommy quest said...

sounds more like early buffalo springfield to me but it's still early and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

TMink said...

Hey, the research turtles album is really great fun. And free. Some of the songs have heavier guitars, but all are cool pop. Well worth the time.

Trey

Libby Spencer said...

Oh boo. I'm too late to play the game so I'll make a suggestion for a future Listomania. Songs that make you think of Simels.

John Fowler said...

I will echo Trey's comment on the Research Turtles - the album has played through on my iTunes a number of times since Friday. It =is= free, but I think they're well worth sending a donation...

Thanks for the post, Steve!

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

yesterday's clue was completely bogus ... completely funny though.

Thanks for Research Turtles!

Oh & so i wonder, wah-wah-wah-wah wuh un der ... pls. give us a heads up on the Exile piece's publication date as soon as you know?