Thursday, November 18, 2010

Oh Lord, It's Another Weepie Old Bolshie-Style Early Clue to the New Direction

From his self-titled 1993 solo album, here's Cheap Trick heartthrob lead singer Robin Zander, and a killer cover of unsung powerpop hero Rob Laufer's "Reactionary Girl."

Or as we at Casa Simels call it "The Christine O'Donnell Story." Heh.



Already dated political cheap shots aside, I have to say that "Baby, have a bitchen summer, see you next fall" is definitely in my Top Ten list of Great Rock 'n' Roll Kiss-Off lines.

And as per usual, a coveted PowerPop no-prize will be awarded to the first reader who gleans the clip's relevance to the theme of tomorrow's Weekend Listomania.

17 comments:

TMink said...

Best break up songs?

Political ideology you can dance to?

Trey

steve simels said...

The politics of dancing.

Hmmm....might be a song in that.
:-)

Noam Sane said...

The politics of ooo feeling good

Solo tunes by frontmen

"outchump" - greatest verification word ever.

Sal Nunziato said...

Greatest damn power pop songs EVER?

Virtually unknown solo releases from members of fairly huge bands?

Shriner said...

Albums by guys who now wear hats on stage because they are going bald?

steve simels said...

Hey -- but those hats are hilarious.

I saw them at a club show in the mid 90s, when the box set came out, and Zander and Peterson were sporting the most ridiculously oversized sombreros I've ever seen.

TMink said...

Sombreros? Must be ZZ Trick.

dave™© said...

Songs covered by singers with the same first name as the writers?

steve simels said...

Not a bad idea but nooo...
:-)

Edward said...

Songs about Sarah Palin;>

Songs about types of girls?

Songs by pissed off boys?

Songs about right wingers?

dSmith said...

Songs about birds?

Michael said...

Great songs pulled from the dustbin by Steve Simels.
Awesome song, thanks for reminding me.

NYMary said...

How about obscure songs justly elevated by more famous artists?

steve simels said...

I a word -- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

All interesting ideas, BTW.
:-)

The clue isn't the song, however.

MJConroy said...

Songs by ex-Beatlemaniacs?

MJConroy said...

Weird - I see tomorrow's post below this one! So I now know the answer! I think my time machine is finally working! Off to play the lotto!

steve simels said...

Ack -- how the hell did I do that?
:-)

Actually, that's the second time this week I've published something prematurely. I accidentally put up an unfinished rough draft of today's Box Office on Wednesday afternoon. It was up for three hours before I noticed.

Senility? Probably. But it also has to do with the fact that on the internet, you don't have goddamn editors.
:-)