Friday, December 17, 2010

Deck Us All With Blaenavon Charlie

[Weekend Listomania remains on hiatus until the new year. -- Ed.]

From the most recent MOJO sampler CD -- theme: some holiday in December -- here's perennially fresh as a daisy alt-rock funsters Superchunk and a thoroughly charming version of John Cale's great "Child's Christmas in Wales."

Cale's Paris 1919, from whence that song derives, is one of my favorite albums of all time, but I must confess until I heard the Superchunk cover it had never occurred to me that "Child's Christmas" could be done as a straight-ahead pop rocker with jangly guitars. Trust me, if I'd had that insight back in my 80s skinny-tie band days, I would now be annoying you with a poorly recorded live mp3 of yours truly singing the damn thing at some low dive somewhere.


TMink said...

Great guitar sound! Super jangle! Jangle all the way.


Maude Lange said...

It's Superchunk - so virtually ANY song (from Motorhead to Mozart) can be done as a straight-ahead pop rocker with jangly guitars.

Anonymous said...

Great tune!

Sadly, we'll never know what a Steve-led Flo Mo treatment of this would be like, or what kind of edgy hilarious un-PC intro it would have unleashed. If only there really was a Wayback machine.


jackd said...

OK you guys have made it entirely obvious that I need to acquire some Superchunk. Album recommendations?

Maude Lange said...

The two singles compilations, Tossing Seeds and Incidental Music, are a good place to start.

pete said...

RIP Captain Beefheart.