Monday, March 11, 2013

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant (Parte Due)

Okay, for those who missed installment one -- I was having dinner at a way cool Brooklyn eatery called Brucie last week and the playlist that was on their stereo included several vintage r&b, blues, reggae and garage punk songs, including three heretofore unknown to me, that caught my ears. And, alas, nobody on the wait staff had access to the computer that was playing them, so I had to do a bit of intertube research to track down the tunes.



The first turned out to be an astounding 1965 Stones rip-off called "So What!!" by a California band called The Lyrics.

The second, however, turned out to be by a familiar auteur, but the song...well, words fail me.

Ladies and germs, from 1960, and his obviously way cool concept album....



...please enjoy man among men Bo Diddley with a jaw-droppingly astounding cover of Tennessee Ernie Ford's classic "Sixteen Tons." A version I had never even suspected existed.



Not to put too fine a point on it, but Jeebus H. Christ on a tuna melt, that's absolutely fantastic.

Still trying to unearth the third song, which was in many ways the coolest of the bunch, without success, BTW. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

edward said...

Eat your heart out Frankie Laine?

Darren Riley said...

Cool Steve, I'm spending my honeymoon in NYC next month. May visit this obviously cool eatery!

Anonymous said...

Any way you could you give us something to go on to help you find that third song?

Anonymous said...

Possibly my favorite album cover ever!!!!

ROTP(lumber)

Anonymous said...

I agree with ROTP(lumber) about the album cover.

Allan Rosenberg-Lost at Sea

Anonymous said...

You should *ALWAYS* have Shazam on your smartphone for precisely this reason...

~Neon Serpent~