Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Hang On to Your Dreams (An Occasional Series): Part Deux -- World Famous in Greenwich Village

So I think we can all agree that, as I mentioned yesterday, the story about those lost-to-history Brit punk wannabes The Limps having their obscure 1979 DIY single resurrected for a big forthcoming Hollywood teen movie is simultaneously the coolest and most heartwarming thing ever.

In any case, as I also mentioned yesterday, there's a part two to the story which is, admittedly, a tad self-indulgent (although highly relevant to the mission statement of the blog you're currently visiting) and here it comes.

I should add that it's also kind of cool and heartwarming, albeit not as epically as what happened to The Limps.

Anyway, the improbable real deal is that no more than fifteen minutes -- literally, I'm not kidding -- after stumbling aross the Cumbrian lads story online, I got an e-mail from an Australian music publicist named Dave Laing, who I've encountered in the past and who is a thoroughly splendid guy (and, as they used to say, a credit to his profession).

The short version: Dave informed me the good folks at too-hip-for-words British reissue label CHERRY RED RECORDS were in the process of putting together a three CD box set of American power pop from the Eighties. And that they and he wanted to include a song by -- be still my beating heart -- the pride-of-Bleecker Street band I toiled in back then and which I have have bent your ear about at some tedious length over the years, AKA The Floor Models.

More specifically, this recorded-in-1982 track from our fab and gear album Floor Your Love.

Dave also reminded me that Cherry Red had done an American Seventies power pop package late in '23...

...and as you'll see if you click on the link here, the track listing is an absolutely brilliantly chosen combo of big name bands and familiar songs along with some interesting cult favorites and estimable obscurities. Apparently, on the new set -- the track listing of which has not been finalized -- the Flo Mos would be a representative of the latter.

In any case, you could have knocked me over with the proverbial avian appendage when I got the news about this, and I'll keep you posted on the project as it gets closer to completion.

Bottom line: I am button-bustingly proud to be associated with said project (thanks, Dave!). And I only wish my two departed bandmates Andy Pasternack and Glen Robert Allen had lived to see it. Sniffle.

I also have to say that in the wake of both the Limps and the Flo Mos recent good fortunes, I'm really starting to feel lucky.

Now please excuse me while I go buy a lottery ticket. If I don't post anything for the next few days, just assume I won.

7 comments:

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

As Robert Louis Stevenson wrote:

The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.

This was in A Child's Garden of Verses so we should assume an uncomplicated view of the "happy as kings" construct.

Sal Nunziato said...

Congrats, Steve!
That is exciting news.
After the release of the compilation and you and the Cherry Red people are buddies, please ask them on what planet "See No Evil" by Television and "Don't Fear The Reaper" by BOC are considered power pop.
:)

steve simels said...

Sal --

Seems a stretch, but I sort of get it. Something about the guitar riffage, I think.

John K said...

Congrats to you Steve. Cherry Red and their clam shell box sets on their Grapefruit label are worth exploring. I've purchased many of them and discovered many obscure and enjoyable things over the past few years.

The Kenosha Kid said...

Finally you can afford to buy me all those adult beverages and no-prizes you owe me!

ChrisE said...

Yes, Steve, with great money comes great payback :-)

Allan Rosenberg said...

Steve:

Would you say that The Hounds' single "Call Me" would have been a good choice for the 70's compilation?

Of course I think it would be perfect for the playlist but what is your opinion?

Captain Al