Tuesday, April 16, 2024

That Kool Kinks Kover I've Been Threatening to Post. Finally!!!

From just a few weeks ago, please enjoy unlikely supergroup Tall Poppy Syndrome and (IMHO) a verging on transplendent remake of The Kinks' 1970 album track "This Time Tomorrow."

The song itself first impinged on our consciousness on the fab/gear Kinks commercial comeback LP Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround Part One. This new version, which has a becomingly "Can't Explain"-power chord vibe, is performed by one of the more interesting and unexpected all-star assemblages of recent years, including guitarist Vince Melouney(!), original member of the (psych-era) Bee Gees, and the incomparable Clem Burke, of Blondie, and more recently of indie faves The Tearaways(!!), on drums. Guitarist Jonathan Lea, of the critically-acclaimed The Jigsaw Seen, and singer Paul Kopf and bassist Alec Palao of Strangers In A Strange Land and the current version of garage rock royalty The Seeds, are in there as well.

I dig the cover the most, but here's the original Kinks version by way of comparison. I think the new one more than does it justice, but YOU make the call.

I should add that if these Tall Poppy guys drop any other stuff in the not too distant future, I'll let you know toot sweet.

9 comments:

JB said...

I'm sticking with the original. Ray's vocal is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Singer Paul Kopf sounds a fair bit like Jon Auer of The Posies. I like the arrangement of the new one, but agree that Ray sings the hell out the original.

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Ray Davies, Dave Davies and Mick Avory have each commented that they like Tall Poppy Syndrome’s version.

Jai Guru Dave said...

Vince Melouney!! I recognized the name, from the ancient album covers. And I always wondered what happened to the other two guys from The Bee Gees when the brothers decided to stop being a proper band.

Anonymous said...

The group broke up in 1969. When the Gibbs reunited in 1970, Vince was signed to a production and solo contract with MCA. He retained his shares in the group for several decades.

M_Sharp said...

It's a very good cover, but I prefer the original. Good artwork.

Sal Nunziato said...

"This Time Tomorrow" is one of my all time fave Kinks tracks. Cover isn't bad, but I'm sticking with the OG.

Anonymous said...

Lola VS. 1970 when I bought. it - Still own it -
54 years later
Steve,Good Luck - Me, I'm going in for heart surgery tomorrow -

Anonymous said...

Paul Kopf was also the singer in Cyril Jordan's post Groovies band Magic Christian.
Lola and Arthur are 2 of my all time favorite albums.
Kevin