Tuesday, April 09, 2024

How Such a Great Record Got to Be the Theme for Such a Cheesy Biker Flick is Beyond Me

From 1968, and the soundtrack to the otherwise justly forgotten exploitation epic The Savage Seven, please enjoy the maligned-by-me-yesterday Cream and their drop dead fabulous "Anyone for Tennis."

Seriously, immediately after I posted Monday's anti-Cream screed, I remembered how much I loved everything about the above and was consumed with guilt.

So mea culpa, Cream -- and may I just add that one of the many reasons that song knocks me out is this concluding lyrical snippet.

And Fate is setting up the chess board/while Death rolls out the dice

Anyone for tennis?

Wouldn't that be nice?

Which definitely falls into the category of "wish I'd written that."

Two additional little relevant bits of tid:

For years, I used to send people a mixtape CD I made called Great Lost Singles of the Sixties, and "Tennis" was usually the number one song in the playlist.

Also, the single version of it, on ATCO, was one of the very first 45 rpm records available in stereo. Which was kind of cool in that immediately post-Sgt. Pepper era, as you can well imagine.

I wore out my promo copy (which I swiped from my college radio station) pretty quickly, as you can also well imagine.

5 comments:

John K said...

Absolutely Steve. It's a really good song and sadly overlooked.

Haik Mendelovich said...

Yep! First discovered this gem in a cutout bin in the early '70s, on the soundtrack to The Savage Seven. When I played it for HS friends who were heavily into Cream, they didn't believe that Cream had actually penned and produced the tune.

(The Savage Seven is available for streaming via Prime. And there goes my evening, Steve - thanks a lot!)

neal t said...

song popped in my head after ur - Cream post yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I used to help you wear out your copy until I finally got my own. If I remember correctly (my singles are in storage at the moment), the ‘b’ side was one of Cream’s all time worse recordings “Press Rat & Warthog”.

Captain Al

Alzo said...

Hmm, hadn't heard this one before. Played it and thought 'Meh- not for me.'
Of course, I've been humming it ever since.