Friday, January 18, 2019

Weekend Listomnia: Special The Horn Blows at Midnight Edition

Well, it's Friday, and you know what that means. Yes, my Oriental fille-de-whoopie Fah Lo Suee and I are off to beautiful Mar-a-Lago(fuck yourself) to spray paint graffiti on the wall separating the President from the special counsel's investigators.

Okay, I made that up -- actually, a certain Shady Dame and I will be winging our way to London for a four day weekend, during which time -- seriously -- we will be taking in an exhibit of Linda McCartney's photographs and seeing a performance of the smash musical Hamilton. Could be a hot one, as I'm wont to say.

But in the meantime, here's a fun project for you all:

BEST OR WORST USE OF A HORN SECTION ON A POP/ROCK/SOUL RECORD!

No arbitrary rules at all, although remember, I'm talking horn section, not solo horns, so don't give me any of that Junior Walker shit. Also, I'd prefer it if the name Chicago did not enter into the festivities.

Okay, my totally top of my head Top Five:

5. Elvis Presley -- Trouble



As seen and heard in King Creole. Directed by Michael (Casablanca) Curtiz, of all people. I don't know who did the horn charts (Leiber and Stoller wrote the song, of course) but man, they kick some serious ass.

4. Otis Redding -- Can't Turn You Loose



Even the Blues Brothers couldn't spoil that arrangement.

3. Bruce Springsteen -- Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out



Arrangement by the lovely and talented Little Steven, who should be immortal for this alone..

2. The Rolling Stones -- Rocks Offf



"The sunshine bores the daylights out of me." No better lyric has ever been written. Also, the horn arrangements on Exile are pretty stellar throughtout.

And the number one horn arrangement of all time, it's not even close, self-evidently is...

1. The Beatles -- Got to Get You Into My Life



Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody!








18 comments:

Butch said...

Kind of a Drag - The Buckinghams

Sal Nunziato said...

So I don't hate "Silly Love Songs" like most people, but I don't really care for it that much, either. What makes the song tolerable for me are the horn parts that turn up on or around the second verse. I think those are pretty great and do indeed improve the song considerably.

Your Friend,
Saul Munziano

FD13NYC said...

Vehicle by the Ides Of March

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated

Domino - Sir George Ivan Morrison - Van has acres of songs with great horn charts, and this one stands the test of time.

My Old School - Steely Dan - love the interplay between the horn section and Jeff Baxter's great soloing

September - Earth, Wind, & Fire - any list of great horn charts that omits EWF is incomplete in my view (on a side note, I believe in the Oxford comma even if Maurice White apparently didn't)

Sir Duke - the great Stevland Morris. No further commentary needed. This thread is now complete and can be closed. I know it's not a competition, but I win.

Best...RichD

neal t said...

boss sax use in Jungleland way cooler and more important in RNR history than 10th ave in imo.

Baker's street should be on the list too.

Shriner said...

VEHICLE, man! Why is that not your #1 pick?

2nd vote for "My Old School", too. The horns just kick that song into outer space.

"On Fine Morning" by Lighthouse for another cool 70's pop song with some great horns.

But, yeah, I've always loved the horns on "Rocks Off", too. Best opening song on a Stones album of all time.

edward said...

What, no Herb Albert? ;>

Enno Morricone (or if you prefer Hugo Montenegro) The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes: When You Dance (if only for the elephant sounds at the beginning)



Alzo said...

The horns on 'Satisfaction.' No, wait...

steve simels said...

Southside -=- When You Dance.

Steely Dan -- My Old School.

Couldn't agree more.

pete said...

Jimmy Haskell arranged the horns on "My Old School." Odd that we don't find the Band on your list. Tears of Rage stands out, so do the Allen Toussaint arrangements on Rock Of Ages - listen to Don't Do it again. And I listened to the Electric Flag's "Long Time Coming" album for the first time in 40 years and was surprised at how good it was. In the trio of late-'60s horn bands (with Chicago, BST) those charts hold their own quite well.

steve simels said...

Couldn't agree ore about the Band stuff. And yeah, the Electric Flag album is better than I thought at the time.

dSmith said...

"Trapped Again" by Southside Johnny.

Alzo said...

Shakira's 'Ciega, Sordomuda' is one of those Pop Rock songs where every note is perfect. The trumpet break could not be better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3gbisdtJnA

Alzo said...

Oh, let's not forget the Brecker brothers work on Lou Reed's 'How Do You Think It Feels' from 'Berlin.'

edward said...

A late entry, but damn I love the sax in this:
Love Letter - Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNtyaNHq5A

Great video, too

BG said...

No love for Sly? "Dance to the Music" ...

Anonymous said...

Al Green's "La-La For You", from his early-70s album LET'S STAY TOGETHER. Pure cream...

Chris E.

exposito63 said...

"... the horn arrangements on Exile are pretty stellar throughout." Yes they are, but how about the Bobby Keys and Jim Price on "Bitch" from the Stones' "Sticky Fingers"?