Tuesday, August 22, 2023

My New Favorite Song (An Occasional Series): Special "Ignorance and Apathy? I Don't Know and I Don't Want to Know!" Edition

From 2006, but more specifically from their just released best-of album, please enjoy Australian garage-punk-power-pop-New-Wave luminaries Young Modern...

...and their wonderfully snotty-and-jangly single "Do You Care?"

God, what I wouldn't have given to cover that song with the Floor Models back in the day. The nasal vocal, the sort of chiming guitars...just fabulous. And they had lots of other songs as good.

BTW, I must admit I was hertofore unfamiliar with these guys (who hail from Adelaide), but when I read in the press release anoouncing the new CD -- "It's Automatic: The Best of Young Modern" -- that they had made their live debut opening for the great Radio Birdman in 1977, I just knew they had to be cool. Hence, I'm sharing, you're welcome very much.

I should also add that I was also vastly taken with the name of the record company that assembled the package -- Half a Cow -- but I'm easy.

In any event, the collection includes a terrific booklet with a complete history of the band, lots of groovy photos like the above, and 23 songs covering, apparently, YMs entire recorded output. You can (and should) stream the anthology over at Amazon HERE; physical copies of the CD can be ordered at the 50 percent bovine label website over HERE.

3 comments:

steve simels said...

Testing…testing…is this thing on?😎

Allan Rosenberg said...

I don't like the mix!

;-)

;-)

;-)

Captain Al

MJConroy said...

It's okay.
But here's some of my favorite power pop from down under (DM3):
https://youtu.be/pmc3NqoyB54