Wednesday, April 24, 2024

You Can't Copyright a Title (An Occasional Series)

From 1971, it's The Rolling Stones and "Bitch."

And from 1997, it's Meredith Brooks and, er, a "Bitch" of a different collar, if you'll pardon the rather too forced Oz joke.

I bring this up because I had completely forgotten the Brooks song until yesterday, when it came on the sound system at my local watering hole and I thought -- is Alannis Morissette making a comeback?

In any case, I decided that it's pretty cool that there are actually two different great guitar-driven rock songs with the same moniker.

Well, okay -- a great one and and a not terrible one.

Interesting historical irony: Apparently Brooks opened for the Stones in Argentina in 1998 on two consecutive afternoons, and on day one she got booed off the stage for some reason. The following day, she was booed off again, but before exiting, she performed her "Bitch" as a Fuck You! to the audience. I have not been able to determine if the Stones did their "Bitch" later in the show.

5 comments:

steve simels said...

Testing…testing….

Is this thing on?😎

Tinpot said...

Ms Brooks: Nice video; good song; easy on the eye; her voice is lacking a little oomph/character.

M_Sharp said...

It's on, I just tuned in.

I haven't heard the Meredith Brooks song in a while, it's rather cheeky.
They didn't play it on the International Women's Day mixtape playlist on WXPN. But they didn't play any of the Rolling Stones songs I requested either, so there's that. I politely explained that they didn't say that the song requests had to be empowering or uplifting, but that didn't help.

Anyway...... there's also "She's My Bitch" by the Supersuckers. Yeah, I know it's three words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELBKsNHPVn0

Allan Rosenberg said...

Why hasn't Meredith Brooks been elected to the R 'N' R HOF? Everyone else has been!

Captain Al

Alzo said...

This calls to mind the time on the Letterman show when Paul Shaffer & band played 'Bitch' when Hillary Clinton entered. Or was it Madonna?