I refer of course to Every Mother's Son, they of "Come On Down to My Boat" fame.
In any event, estimable as that song is, it's not my favorite of theirs.
That would be a cross between this one, from their debut album...
...and this one (from their second and final effort) which was actually a moderate hit in a lot of markets, including my own in the Tri-State area.
I think we can all agree that both of those are exemplary pop/rock confections. The first, I have long maintained, is the greatest Monkees record that the Monkees never made, and it is one of the most poignant regrets of my adult life that the Floor Models never got around to covering it. The second, of course, is merely two-plus minutes of flat-out folk-rock gorgeousness in that sort of baroque/moderately psychedelic style that was one of the genuine pleasures of its period.
I should add that the band's keyboard guy, Bruce Milner, went on to become a very ritzy upscale dentist on NY's Upper East Side; back in the 90s, he was a regular at my then Manhattan watering hole. Very nice guy, but I could never really get him to talk about his days as a minor league rock star.
6 comments:
I went to a college that wasn’t big enough to get REALLY big bands to come and play; but we did get The Strawberry Alarm Clock, and… Every Mother’s Son. Both of whom put on great concerts that I remember fondly as exciting nights from my college days.
Jai Guru Dave
or Class Three Overbite....
I should add that I consider it a major cultural tragedy that there is currently no stereo version of "Pony" available anywhere on-line. It's awesomely beautiful -- I have it on CD somewhere, and if I can find it I'll try to put it up.
They're okay, better than I expected them to be. Good call! You're pretty okay Every Mother's Son.
Captain Al
1967, I was 16.
Our local garage band covered this song at our local Saturday night Surf Club teen dances.
does this qualify as "yacht rock"?
Post a Comment