Friday, August 14, 2026

La Fin de La Semaine Essay Question: Special "Yes, I Actually Am the Son of a Veterinarian" Edition

Okay kids, as some of you may know, I had a weird freak accident (a fall in my kitchen, no less) two weeks ago, and as a result I've been in excruciating back pain ever since. So today's business is, necessarily, gonna be something essentially tossed off and not up to my usual standard of excellence. (And if truth be told, I've probably done a variant of it sometime in the blog's dim dark past.)

Hey -- how do you say "cut me some slack, Jack!" in Yiddish? 😎

Anyway, by way of introduction, let me note that yesterday marked the 4th anniversary of the arrival of our beloved pussycat Mickey -- a rescue from the Bronx, thus named after Mr. Mantle -- at our digs in Forest Hills.

He's a real sweeteart, and you'll note that he's also polydactyl, i.e. he has six toes on each paw. Pretty cool, no?

In any case, that leads us inevitably and inexorably to the subject at hand. To wit:

...and your favorite (or least favorite) post-Elvis pop/rock/soul/folk record/song referencing animals either in the lyrics, title, or name of the artist/band is????

Discuss.

In case you're wondering, my nominee is this.

The song itself is sort of a guilty pleasure; it's a tad dated, obviously, but I think I just kinda dig the idea that these guys might possibly have named themselves after the hilarious absurdist play by Ionesco.

Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody! And hope that the Heroin Jr. pills my pain specialist just prescribed for me make my weekend a little more bearable than I'm used to of late.

22 comments:

Cleveland Jeff said...

Living With The Animals (song and album title) by Mother Earth 1968. It's not the best song on the record. That would be Down So Low, Tracey Nelson's original version.

edward said...

I got some side eye last time you did this for Bruce Springsteen's Kitty's Back and Sly and the Family Stone Thank Ya Fa Lettin Me Be Mice Elf Again, so instead let's go with Horses by Patti Smith, Now I Want to Be Your Dog by the Stooges, Cool For Cats by Squeeze, and for bands with animals in the title Sopwith Camel, or maybe just The Animals.

Anonymous said...

Get the crying towels out - Shannon by Henry Gross about the death of a beloved dog.
rs

steve simels said...

I love that song. Seriously. 😎

steve simels said...

The Animals. Mais certainement. 😎

paulinca said...

Bobby Whitlock's "Thorn Tree in the Garden", while on the Layla album, is surely about a woman, he told me that the song's inspiration was about losing a dog that was his favorite pet.

Anonymous said...

How could I not pick

Phenomenal Cat - The Kinks

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

FEEL BETTER!!!!

Captain Al

steve simels said...

Good point. 😎

Gummo said...

Diamond Dogs - David Bowie
Martha My Dear - The Beatles
White Bird - It's a Beautiful Day
The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens
Animal Zoo - Spirit
King Kong - The Kinks

Gummo said...

Take your meds & STAY STILL! Feel better!

steve simels said...

Seems to help if I follow your advice.

M_Sharp said...

"Marie Provost" - Nick Lowe ................Yikes!

Alzo said...

Animal Farm - The Kinks
I'm a Hog for You, Baby - Screaming Lord Sutch / Dr. Feelgood

Bands named for animals... Best: Hinds. Worst: Geese
I recall that Guy Stevens named Procol Harum after his cat.
Thankfully, you didn't name yours 'Spot.'

Dave Leonatti said...

I'll chime in. Rest up and get well SS. My entries:
The Groundhogs
Government Mule

M_Sharp said...

"If Dogs Run Free" - Bob Dylan
"Brontosaurus" - The Move
"Walking The Dog" - Rufus Thomas
"May The Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose" - Little Jimmy Dickens
"Shake, Rattle, and Roll" - Big Joe Turner ..."I'm like a one-eyed cat"
"Snakes On Everything" and "Dixie Chicken" - Little Feat
"Wart Hog" - Ramones
"Do The Mouse" - Soupy Sales

I hope you get much better very soon!

MJConroy said...

"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane.
(At first I thought you were going to ask for polydactyl musicians. I was going to go with Hound Dog Taylor).
Hope you feel better soon, Steve. Back pain is the worst!

Roger said...

Walking My Cat Named Dog - Norma Tanega

Anonymous said...

That hungry little dachshund!

Anonymous said...

Jack Clement wrote a song wonderfully recorded by Johnny Cash: Dirty Old Egg-Sucking Dog

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Also Fantastic Cat are a fine band with two very good and one decent (the latest) album.

- Paul in DK

Roger said...

Tiger - Fabian
Mack the Knife - Bobby Darin (Oh, the shark bites …)
Little Red Riding Hood - Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
Surfin’ Bird - The Trashmen
Barracuda - Heart
What’s New Pussycat? - Tom Jones