Wednesday, September 09, 2026

How Do You Say "Wretched Excess" in Yiddish?

Okay, as you may have heard yesterday over at our pal Sal's invaluable BURNING WOOD BLOG (or elsewhere on the Intertubes), but there's a brand new six disc (CD and Blu-ray) box set of The Who's 1975 album The Who By Numbers just out. I haven't heard it yet, nor am I likely to anytime soon; frankly, a) it's a little pricey, and b) I'm still trying to digest the recent 7CD complete Lovin' Spoonful anthology on Cherry Red I got as an early birthday present the other week. Plus, at this point in life, my attention span is pretty much shot to shit, and I'm reminded of a friend's comment when I asked if he'd seen Christopher Nolan's recent and much-raved about film version of The Odyssey. "Are you kidding?" he replied. "Jeebus, it's like four hours long."

Yeah, yeah, both he and I were kidding about the above to some degree, and in fact, I've loved most of TWBN since forever, although to be equally honest I haven't listened to it since probably sometime in the last century. Still, upon reading Sal's thoughts on the album, I got curious as to what I had said about it when it was new. So here, exactly as it appeared in the January 1976 issue of The Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review, is my critique. If you have difficulty reading, you should be able to click on it to enlarge.

I'm not sure I still completely agree with all the judgements expressed in the piece, but I think I got most of it basically right. In any case, please enjoy if possible, and cut me some slacque, Jacques -- I was a kid at the time. 😎

Your thoughts?

13 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

Have you warmed to "Blue Red & Grey?" If not, these may be the last words I ever say to you.

steve simels said...

That jumped out at me too. I have no idea what I was thinking. 😎

ChrisE said...

"Slip Kid" is still a great and underrated Who song. And I still love seeing those old pages from STEREO REVIEW :-) :-)

Sal Nunziato said...

Phew!

Gummo said...

Heck, for $7.98, it's worth it.

Dave Leonatti said...

Think spot on for "Slip Kid" and "They are All in Love" We forget about the layered harmonies. The Who in all its forms was a critical group in 60's and 70's R&R; warts and all. A good read, Steve.

Anonymous said...

All the best albums get better with age.

Captain Al

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I would be much more enthusiastic about your Lovin Spoonful box set...

Paul Kelly said...

A couple of years ago I found a blog site that allowed me to download too many year's worth of Stereo Review magazine. Embarrassing confessions time––I wanted them to reread all of your reviews, Steve, from my teen years and early 20s. I started reading that rag in 1974 when I was 14. I almost immediately connected with your reviews, so it felt like a healthy form of nostalgia to go back and read them all again (and I have), to see whether my musical values have changed.

I wasn't listening to the Who then (I know, I know!) but I remember this review, and I will remedy that immediately by listening to this album. I've recently started listening again to Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy which, in my opinion has to be one of the greatest of any rock band's early years compilations. Absolutely fab!

John Werner said...

You are a kindred soul as I started reading Stereo Review as a 12-year old in around 1971, before Steve came on board. A dude named Joel Vance did many of the "rock" reviews and I found myself thinking he must be too old. When Steve appeared it was a breath of fresh air and I quickly found my last and his must be simpatico. He, along with Lester Bangs, were my favorite "rock music critics" of all time. Though I did like Jon Tiven in Audio magazine I'll add.

Paul Kelly said...

Yeah, I remember those Joel Vance reviews. I rarely agreed with them if I knew the album, and they seemed very old school and stuffy to me even at 14 years old. I wonder if he's still around, and if Steve knows him?

Lester was good, and was there a Peter somebody? Coppard, or something? Rings a bell. Very nostalgic now for those days, and that mag. Much of the new pop music seems very dull to me. God, I'm old.