So let's get directly and inexorably to our business at hand.
To wit:
...and the post-Elvis pop/rock/soul/folk/country/hip-hop solo artist or band you feel could have been hugely commercially successful based on their name alone is...???
Discuss.
No arbitrary rules whatsoever, by which I mean if you want to nominate somebody who was/is actually famous go for it.
In any event, my nominee is these guys...
...who were a kind of big deal in the NYC underground of the 80s. (By kind of a big deal, I mean that I used to see flyers for their CBGBs gigs on lampposts in my Village neighborhood all the time). In any case, I never got to see them live, but I always thought their moniker was hilarious. And I should add that after stumbling across their music online recently, I really regret having missed them back in the day -- as you can hear, their shtick was a kind of unpretentious, often amusingly rootsy racket that I would have dug the most in a small club.
Alrighty then -- who would YOUR choice(s) be?
And have a great weekend, everybody!!! 😎
PS: You can find out more about these guys -- including the skinny on their upcoming (November) NYC reunion show -- over at their official website HERE.

14 comments:
From my DC clubbing days in the late 70s early 80s: Tru Fax and the Insaniacs.
^ that was me
27 Dollar Snap On Face.
Captain Al
Love it. 😎
Okay, just one more. A 1960’s garage band from Yorktown Heights, NY:
The Rubber Chicken Rebellion
Captain Al
There was a band in Atlanta in the 80s/90s called Betty's Not a Vitamin, based on the observation that Flintstones vitamins did not have a vitamin in Betty's image.
Here's a hall of fame name, Victor and the Spoils who released two 45s in 1966.
Bob in IL
Sniff 'n' the Tears had one top 20 hit with Driver's Seat in 1979, a great song that always makes it to my car and/or rocking mixes.
Mud Boy and The Neutrons
Southern Culture On The Skids
Go To Blazes
Gutterball
Supersuckers
Top Jimmy and The Rhythm Pigs
Carlos Guitarlos - Lead guitar for The Rhythm Pigs, and a fine solo artiste
Toothpaste "a household word on everybody's lips"
Hoodoo Gurus
True names of bands I toiled in during my misspent youth
The Elastic Waist Band (bluegrass)
Fido & the Hydrants
I love — nay lurve — Fido and the Hydrants. 😎
Divorce Decree & the Alimony Six
Couch Burners Anonymous
Post a Comment