Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Wednesday Self-Indulgent Cranky Old Guy Outburst

Okay, apologies up front: I'm acutely aware that the title of the blog you're reading at the moment is PowerPop, not Pissed Off Leftie.

But every now and then, something just sticks in my craw.

Case in point -- From yesterday's NY Times, and David Brooks' disgusting wet kiss farewell to departing White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel:
Over the summer, I wrote a tough column [about President Obama]...That week, I ran into Rahm at a Bruce Springsteen concert.
Isn't that sweet? Republican David Brooks, enthusiast for nuclear power, and Democrat Rahm Emmanuel, a nuke industry consultant who's probably responsible for the Obama administration's (IMHO) criminally stupid, short-sighted and dangerous enthusiasm for nuclear power, together at a Springsteen show.

Gee, I wonder if Bruce did this song -- written in response to the disaster at Three Mile Island -- the night those two cynical shitheads held hands.



I tried to find my way out to somewhere where I thought it'd be safe
They stopped me at the roadblock they put up on the interstate
They put me in detention but I broke loose and then I ran
They said they want to ask me a few questions but I think they had other plans
Now I don't know who to trust and I don't know what I can believe
They say they want to help me but with the stuff they keep on sayin'
I think those guys just wanna keep on playin'

Roulette, with my life
Roulette, with my kids and my wife
Roulette, the bullet's in the chamber
Roulette, who's the unlucky stranger
Roulette, surprise, you're dead
Roulette, the gun's to your head
Roulette, the bullet's spinning in the chamber
Roulette, pull the trigger, feel the click
No further danger

Nah. Probably not.

18 comments:

steve simels said...

Note to self: Tedious DFH rants about David Brooks and nukes way less interesting to readers than expected.
:-)

mister muleboy said...

Seconded.


Pinko. . . .




-- J. Robt. Oppenheimer









;-)

steve simels said...

All kidding aside, that early version of "Roulette" totally kicks ass on the one Bruce finally released in the 90s.

I had it on a bootleg back in the day, and listening to it for the first time in ages yesterday made me remember exactly why I loved Springsteen in the first place.

Damn, if that "no further danger" line doesn't give me the cold chills.

Blue Ash Fan said...

Hey, nothing wrong with a lefty rant now and then. I'll read 'em. And as a resident of the DC area, I can tell you that here, it isn't really who's left of who's right, Dem or Repug, or whatever. It's all about who's inside and who's not.

On a lighter note, excellent Fountains of Wayne show last night.

steve simels said...

A certain shady dame is taking me to see FOW tomorrow night as an early birthday present.

Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary said...

Brother Simels - you can rant about the maniacism in this country all you want. I'm with you all the way. - Gath

Anonymous said...

What you wouldn't give for a large sock with horse manure in it.

"Oh, that's funny, because I happen to have Mr. Springsteen right here. Come over here for a second?"

Boy, if life were only like this.

AP

steve simels said...

Eric Alterman famously ran into the incredibly evil wingnut Brent Bozell at a Springsteen show earlier in the decade.

When he asked Bozell what the hell he was doing at the show, he replied "All my favorite entertainers are Communists."

A true story.

Wendy said...

When he asked Bozell what the hell he was doing at the show, he replied "All my favorite entertainers are Communists."

Ann Coulter is supposedly a Dead Head.

Which can be taken in more ways than one.

NYMary said...

They're both assholes.

A lot of people just don't **listen** to Springsteen.

TMink said...

Well, in defense of crazed right wing nuts everywhere, we do not have to agree with the political positions of artists to enjoy their work. Neither do you guys as you all love The Smithereens. For that matter, we all have loved ones and friends whose political positions we find baffeling or even deranged. But we all deal, because love trumps it all in the end.

Having said that, I saw nothing tedious or inflamatory in the post. I discovered we agree abotu something politically, neither of us appreciates Rahm. 8) And the song is great and soon to be on my ipod! So thanks!!!!

Trey

Blue Ash Fan said...

Steve, the highlight of the FOW show was some new material from their upcoming album. Seems very promising.

Is Jill Sobule opening for them? She's a riot.

Edward said...

I remember seeing Costello complaing at a concert about Frat Boys not getting the point of "Let 'em Dangle", pointing out the song is anti-death penalty. He then played the song as the Frat boys cheered and sang along to the chorus.

Ya just can't win.

Anonymous said...

Jill Sobule makes my skin crawl!!!!

This is not a commie rant!

ROTP(lumber)

MBowen said...

ROTP - I saw Jill Sobule earlier this year. She said "One of my favorite performers of all time is in the audience tonight...I'd be really happy if she came up her on stage to sing." OK, I figured it's some folkie like Dar Williams or even worse, one of the fucking Roche sisters. No, the woman who joined her onstage was none other than Lesley Gore. I sat there, less than 20 feet from someone who had been in The TAMI Show.

Jill Sobule fucking rocks.

TMink said...

Edward, too true. I got into Elvis as a frat boy, but I am anti-death penalty, so it is all good.

I distinctly remember getting his new records and running back to the frat house to put them on and work on the lyrics. "When I hold you like I hold that BAKELITE in my hand" was a particular triumph to unravel as was "tenter hooks."

So in defense of frat boy Elvis fans, some of us got it. Of course the frat I was in was the only integrated frat on campus and had a 3.2 GPA, even with me in it.

Trey

TMink said...

A new FOW album! Yes! My headache just disappeared!

Trey

Feldiken said...

Ok, but let's not forget the obvious. Springsteen is so good that he and others have brought people of different political views together. This is one promise that Rockn Roll has kept. It's an improvement from thirty years ago.
I remember seeing Bruce in DC where he said "people of any political view are welcome, Democrats, Republicans, Independent, everyone" and the audience cheered. But almost against his will, he had to add "except maybe Dick Chaney!"