Monday, October 11, 2010

Words Fail Me (An Occasional Series): The Blues Came Down From Muswell Hill

From (I think) German TV in 1966 it's The Kinks and an astounding totally live version of "Milkcow Blues."



Found this one the other day, having previously not even suspected its existence, and frankly you could have knocked me over with the proverbial feather. Until now, I was unaware that there was any decent live documentation of the Kinks in their original and greatest incarnation; most of the TV stuff I've seen has either been lip-synched or has terrible sound, and the admittedly entertaining 1967 Live at Kelvin Hall album features taped-looped audience noise, badly overdubbed solos, and is in general a mess from a technical standpoint.

This, however...wow. It helps, of course, that the Kinks' take on the venerable Elvis song is pretty much my favorite rave-up in all of 60s rock. And it's nice to finally have a chance to hear how it sounded on what I would say was a very good night.

Dave Davies was 19 at the time, I might add.

Also -- make sure you watch this with some decent speakers turned on; otherwise you'll miss the ace bass work by the criminally underrated Pete Quaife.

11 comments:

TMink said...

Really great to hear this. I did not know the Kinks could do that.

Trey

Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary said...

Out-stucking-fanding!

I always thought they had it in 'em, but had just never heard it confirmed. Until now.

Thanks!

Edward said...

And wow, them German kids sure can dance;>

Rockin' Jeff said...

Good one. I seem to remember seeing some amazing vintage Spencer Davis Group footage from the same venue/program as well.

Kid Charlemagne said...

Love how the Chocolate Watchband swiped the Kinks' arrangement of this for their great "Don't Need Your Lovin'"

Anonymous said...

The performance made my computer screen sweat!


ROTP(lumber)

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Besides speakers, no fair not watching this in full screen. Honest to god don't know how you do it, Mr. S; pulling a rabbit out of your hat every single WEEK. Nothing up my sleeve ... presto

Faze said...

I guess this lays that Jimmy Page rumor to rest.

Anonymous said...

Jeepers, Simels -- Jamaican me sweat!!!

Sal Nunziato said...

Wow! Say it again! WOW!

Anonymous said...

Why was I born too late? Why did I come of age in the time of relative Kinks mediocrity? I still love seeing Ray Davies every chance I get.