Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Let's Talk About Girls!

From the Letterman show in 1989, please enjoy the incomparable Syd Straw and a smokin' rendition of my favorite song from her debut album (Surprise)...


...the Peter Holsapple-penned "Think Too Hard."



And yes, that's Dave Alvin on guitar.

I had never seen this clip before, and isn't she just as cute as a bugs ear? A great singer too, but that's a given. I should add that Surprise is a fricking tremendous album that belongs in every home.

More Holsapple and Syd tomorrow.

5 comments:

Dave said...

That was nothing but great. Listen carefully to what Dave tells her at the end of the song: what artist wouldn't want to hear that?

steve simels said...

Letterman has always been a genuine music fan, which is one of many reasons I like him.

Anonymous said...

Love her on Golden Palominos version of Little Feat's "I've Been the One."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh-9W19da-I

Saw her on this tour at the Coach House. Dave Alvin and D.J. Bonebrake were in the band. The set had its moments, both good and not so good. Believe it or not, she opened for Adrian Belew. I was sitting across from Vicky Vinyl's ex-business partner. Taped it on a cheap Aiwa.

VR - She speaks in riddles 'cause that's just the way she thinks. Oh baby, let me tell you ... my sphinx is a jinx.

buzzbabyjesus said...

It doesn't seem like that long ago, but watching the clip is a reminder that it is.

Unknown said...

I know Syd. Lovely person