Monday, December 07, 2015

Sharp Dressed Men

Long-time commenter from Down Under/fellow fan of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries/and all around nice guy Peter Power Pop posted a link to the great song below the other day in our discussion of Aussie rock gods You Am I.

But I overlooked it at the time and it's too good not to feature here a little more prominently.

So -- please enjoy "Get Up". From their drolly titled 2001 album Dress Me Slowly.



As I said the other day, I've been a fan of these guys since the early 90s, when I first heard their "Mr. Milk" blasting over the stereo at world's coolest record store NYCD (the proprietor, our chum Sal Nunziato, now does business over at BURNING WOOD of course, but in any case, and way too belatedly -- thanks Sal!!!)

And as we also mentioned the other day, You Am I have a splendid new CD out (recorded in Bushwick, which cracks me up). And it occurred to me that the cover art had a certain ring of familiarity.


And today I finally remembered why.


That was the cover for the Spanish LP of the Rolling Stones' "Sticky Fingers'; if memory serves the then still not dead Generalissimo Francisco Franco objected to the more familiar Warhol zipper cover on the grounds that it might tend to corrupt the otherwise virtuous teenage inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula. In any case, there's no doubt in my mind that the new You Am I cover is a deliberate homage/pastiche, and I say -- good for them!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then there is this super rare German promo-only version of Mott the Hoople's second album.

VR

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to post link:

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a535/VanessaStone/Sticky%20Fingers/Sticky%20Fingers_zpsgexb7z7e.jpg

Anonymous said...

Vicki, do tell more. Never heard of it.

Capt. Al

Alzo said...

Hmmm. Feeling the uncontrollable urge to pigeonhole, they strike me as rather Replacements-like. Not a bad thing to be, really.

Anonymous said...

And isn't that a typical choice for a Fascist dictator? A woman's severed hand? No problem. But a photo of a zipper on a pair of pants? Must be censored.

Marc

Chevy Chase said...

In related news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead...

Anonymous said...

Capt. Al,

Sticky Fingers was the proposed title for what turned out to be Mad Shadows. A friend of mine has the original mock up cover for it. Dead rare, but a stupid cover, nevertheless.

Both Mott and the Stones were recording at Olympic in the Spring of 1970. Some say the Stones stole the title from Mott the Hoople. But the original working title for Let It Bleed was Sticky Fingers and the Stones intended to use it for their following album. Whatever's true, Mad Shadows was released over a half year before Sticky Fingers, so I'm thinking the bands compared notes and Mott relinquished the title. But it did get to the promo stage and album cover stage, though not mass produced.

RE the Spanish cover: Franco's little Spaniard must have developed feelings of inadequacy when viewing those anonymous levis and the thick promise underneath. Yumm. My favorite Stones album cover. I've stripped to many of the songs on it, including Moonlight Mile. Even better to fuck to.

In June of 1971 I took my well endowed boyfriend, an electrical contractor who loved to sail, to the photographer friend I used for my portfolios and such. We shot an homage to the Warhol cover except he didn't wear underwear for the second photo. It was my idea. All three of us loved it. The photos came out really good. I was sixteen and my mom never looked at my boyfriend the same way after seeing that picture in my bedroom.

VR





Anonymous said...

Vicki:

At my age I live vicariously through your sex life. Rimshot Badda Boom!

Capt. Al

Anonymous said...

Capt. Al:

Say hello to the vicar for me.

VR