Friday, July 15, 2005

Lucksmiths Interview

One of the cool things about blogging is the sheer number of people who find you. It's like setting up a little booth on a streetcorner, and those who are interested wander by. I have no wares to sell, of course, just ideas to share, but it's heartwarming how many others there are out there who share the love I have for my little corner of things, however ill-defined.

And then there's the bands.

Once in a while, they find me, but more often readers just hip me to stuff they've heard which they think might be my kind of thing. That's not always the case, but it is often enough for me to have discovered some really wonderful stuff under the radar. Not too long ago, I was made aware of The Lucksmiths, and since have acquired a whole bunch of their CDs. It's a bit soft for me, but when I have the right mood, it's great stuff, and always worth listening to closely.

PopMatters posted an interview with them the other day, found here.
Still, Marty Donald readily admits that he doesn't find much inspiration in the darker places.

"It's funny -- I have this book called Songwriters on Songwriting," he said, "and one question that the interviewer asked everyone in the book was 'Do you feel like you need an element of instability in your life to be able to write?' And a lot of them were like, 'Yeah, I just can't write songs when I'm happy and sitting at home.'"

"But I'm by nature pretty happy and contented," he continued. "I'm certainly not someone who seeks turmoil. I'm never happier than when I'm at home with my girlfriend cooking dinner. There are only so many songs you can get out of that. I've tried. I've gotten about as many as I could."


I recommend Warmer Corners, by the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was it "T-Shirt Weather" that did it?

Anonymous said...

We heart the crap out of this blog! Three Bulls! love power pop so much that the countdown to the next TNP album completely dominates the Harry Potter countdown!

Also, if you like, check out our sister page "Song of the Day" maybe we heart some bands that you heart too.

http://softd.blogspot.com