Thursday, July 28, 2005

They Might Be Giants

As I noted last week, we had the TMBG documentary, Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns from Netflix. I have to confess, I couldn't resist watching it one more time before I returned it. Man, I like these guys. It's one of the great tragedies of my life that the one time I was going to see them, in a free outdoor show at the University of Miami, the skies opened up as only South Florida skies can a scant hour before the show, which was understandably called off.

But the Johns play a lot, and a recent review at Popmatters caught my attention.

Early on during They Might Be Giants's show at Boulder's Fox Theatre, keyboardist/accordionist/vocalist John Linnell called a song to a premature halt, waving his hands frantically at his bandmates.

"Whoa, hold it guys," he croaked. "I don't know what's wrong-my voice is all messed up."

Though the band is known for its onstage pranks, this wasn't one of them. Holding his throat, it appeared that Linnell really was having trouble with his vocal chords.

"It's the altitude," suggested an audience member.

"No, it's not the altitude," Linnell answered. "It must be the latitude. What is this-the 40th parallel? We can't play shows at the 40th parallel!"

I also really recommend Gigantic, especially for the inadvertently revealing scenes in which John Linnell allows himself to be upstage by his toddler. I swore he was pushing the kid between himself and the camera.

Thersites and I used to think we were ingenious, because we regularly used "Istanbul, Not Constantinople" for breaking through kid crankiness: a better song for dancing around the house of jumping on the bed would be hard to find. But apparently others have copped onto this: the Johns have two albums just for kids: No! and Here Come the ABC's They also have a cool website just for kids. Proof positive: it is never really necessary to patronize Raffi.

8 comments:

emerson said...

Has anyone ever compiled the old answering machine songs? I'm assuming they're not the songs or versions from albums.

NYMary said...

Emerson,
I don't think that's actually possible, given what I know about Dial-a-song (imagine the size!), but there is this, which has to come pretty close.

emerson said...

Mary:

Thanks for waiting for me to hit send on my comment before replying. Your lack of lag time is disconcerting.

Dave said...

Don't know why I haven't looked for this before, but preliminary Google search shows that this is a list of several demo-quality dial-a-songs with a few dls (check out the "child unfriendly" "Four of Two" from No! -- which for the record is one of their best. I listen to it more than "Flood" now!).

Horatio said...

Mary, check out My Chemical Romance if you haven't yet. Maybe they're a little more emo than pop, a little more metal than power, but I'd say you have a 35% chance of liking them a lot.

Anonymous said...

Their kids albums saved my life. My daughter loves them. Barney be gone!!

Saw them sometime before the extinction of the dinosaurs. There was a problem with the sound system or some such, so they took requests until they could figure it out. I shouted out "Freebird!" They got about four bars into it before Linnell broke down and said, "I'm sorry, I just can't do this." But in those four bars, the accordion bore Freebird to heights Skynyrd never dreamed of.

-Dan McEnroe

Ratface said...

Please tell me horatio was not comparing my chemical romance with tmbg...

sp3ccylad said...

Ah - so you missed TMBG too. I was due to see the magic that was TMBG in Eugene, OR. The gig was part of the Eugene Celebration. I had free tix (2x) and everything. Why didn't it go ahead? Because it had been scheduled (months in advance) for Friday September 14th 2001. You can imagine no-one was in much of a mood for anything that day.

Timing. Sometimes it has nothing to do with comedy.