Monday, November 03, 2014

Your Monday Moment of a Work in Progress

From their forthcoming EP, recorded in a dank attic somewhere in the wilds of New Jersey...


...please enjoy my once and future high school garage band chums The Weasels and "A Lot Like You," the latest masterwork that will probably make their names live beyond eternity.

This isn't quite finished, BTW -- only half of my guitar solo is there, and this is a rough mix -- but I think it sounds pretty cool nonetheless. The song is written and sung by friend of PowerPop "Jai Guru" Dave Hawxwell (who also plays rhythm guitar); the Sting-like bass is by Allan "Al" Weissman; the louder rhythm guitars are by some idiot whose name rhymes with Sleeve Nimels; and the non-human drum track is courtesy of our producer, Reg Thorpe Glenn Leeds.



I should add that when Dave first presented the song to us some weeks ago, we were duly impressed with the progress of his songwriting; heretofore just about everything he had ever written sounded like 70s soft or country rock, whereas with this new opus he had graduated to a convincing impression of Mike and the Mechanics.

5 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

That last mention of Mike And The Mechanics is a deal breaker.
I think the first music I need to hear today is "Nguyên Lê - Celebrating The Dark Side of the Moon". He's a Vietnamese jazz guitar guy reinterpreting Pink Floyd with a big band. "Money" sounds like a Mahavishnu Big Band. I can't wait to give it a good listen.

Maybe later I'll give the "convincing impression of Mike and the Mechanics" my customary 30 seconds, or a verse and chorus, whichever comes first.

steve simels said...

That Mike and the Mechanics thing was meant tongue and cheek, pal.
:-)

FD13NYC said...

Sounding pretty good so far!

danny1959 said...

You say that like it's a bad thing!

buzzbabyjesus said...

I'll listen to the whole thing when it's done. That Nimels guy is solid, but the melody in the verse is exactly some other song I can't put my finger on. It's either from "Welcome To The Working Week" or something else that will come to me later today. Chorus does not call up an analog.