Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Plan 9 From Covers Week: Special "Harry Vanda and George Young Are Deities" Edition

From 1986, please enjoy The Hindu Love Gods -- i.e., Warren Zevon and R.E.M. -- essaying one of the greatest rock-and-roll songs ever written, The Easybeats' "Gonna Have a Good Time."




A version that somehow I had forgotten the existence of until yesterday, despite it being one of my all-time fave tunes.

And may I just ask why none of my Australian friends had bothered to remind me of this?

I'm talking to YOU, Peter Scott.

5 comments:

Blue Ash Fan said...

What's your take on the post-Ian Hunter Mott take on the tune, from their second and final album, Shouting and Pointing?

steve simels said...

I had forgotten that one too. I'll listen and get back to you.

I'm rather to the Shocking Blue version, BTW.

Anonymous said...

It's okay.

The original sets such a high standard it's probably impossible to even come close to matching it. This version is a little leaden and lifeless. Where is the uplift that propels the song into the stratosphere? It's not there.

The thought of post Hunter Mott doing the song makes me shudder with dread.

But Captain tell us how you really feel!

Captain Al

steve simels said...

I’m rather “partial” to the Shocking Blue version.

Anonymous said...

Steve:

I agree that Shocking Blue's version of "Good Times" is second only to the Easybeats' original recording.