Thursday, July 21, 2022

Records I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved: An Occasional Feature (Special "Feets Don't Fail Me Now" Edition)

From 1975, please enjoy The Hollies' brilliant lead singer Allan Clarke and his way-before-its-time cover of Bruce Springsteen's immortal ode to cultural freedom "Born to Run."

I've been trying to figure out just how earlier than Bruce's version this came out -- it was definitiely the same year, but beyond that I remain confused -- and in any case it was pretty hep of Clarke to record it.

I should add that I've got an absolutely hilarious true story involving Springsteen, the Hollies, and me at a club where the Hollies were performing. Get me drunk sometime and I'll tell it to you.

4 comments:

edward said...

Born to Run, the single, was out and about to radio stations for about a year before the official release, which gave Clarke plenty of time to hear and cover it before Bruce's version went official.

I don't recall ever hearing this, but then I was lucky enough to have WHFS playing Springsteen's version to death long before the official release.

The Kenosha Kid said...

Bonus Jewy spelling of "Springstein" on label1

Phil Cheese said...

I was lucky enough to hear the Springsteen/Hollies story during my trip NYC to meet you and The Floor Models...and I didn't even have to get you drunk first!

Anonymous said...

Jeez - almost a note for note copy.
Not to be sarcastic but a karaoke
backing ?- sure that's not Clarence
rob