Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Mr. Ocasek's Neighborhood

Last Thursday would have been Ric Ocasek's 78th birthday. In his honor, here's my second favorite song by the band he visually exemplified. (Take a guess what my first favorite is, won't you?).

Apart from the fabulous music he made, Ocasek's always been an icon for me because back in the day he was the rock star that I most often used to see on the street. In my Village period, he and his gorgeous wife Paulina were among the most recognizable denizens of the neighborhood, after Vincent "The Chin" Gigante, and Ric did it without the gimmick of wandering around in a bathrobe and slippers. Seriously, hardly a week went by when it wasn't like "Oh, there's Ric getting groceries at Jefferson Market," or "there's Ric in my local video store"; it was just one of the perks of living in the Village.

In any case, I don't have to tell you that "My Best Friend's Girl" is one of the great singles of its era. What I am here to tell you -- and I've been saying it for years -- is that (IMHO) one of these days some smart country band is gonna cover it and have a huuuuge hit.

I don't know who that band might be, but since these guys are apparently still around, and because I love this song of theirs (which has certain vague stylistic resesmblances to The Cars, again IMHO), I nominate them.

Your thoughts?

12 comments:

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

1/my own favorite songs of the cars are "just what i needed" and "let the good times roll"

2/did you notice the "new cars" with todd rundgren as the front man?

3/this morning i was reading about the rokes - i was impressed with their relyricization into italian of bob lind's "cheryl's going home" - it translates into something like "how is it our fault?" - an alienated youth song

but i was reminded that it was the rokes who wrote "live for today" - originally in italian - that the grass roots had an american hit with

M_Sharp said...

That's a perfect song- hand claps, rockabilly guitar, bass up front, great vocals, great tune.

I know the name but I can't remember ever hearing a Lonestar song, but there's a definite Cars sound there.

steve simels said...

Somebody suggested Dwight Yoakam, which I think is a great idea.

Alphawolf666 said...

I know this isn't the right place to post but the Zinhof Blog vanished a few days ago. Anyone know of where it may have landed? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Moving in Stereo

steve simels said...

Actually my fave is You Might Think.

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Enjoyed Ocaseks pop skills until I read of his legacy...

steve simels said...

His legacy?

Marc said...

My Best Friend's Girl and You Might Think are also my two favorite Cars songs! As for the country version, check out Hayseed Dixie's bluegrass take on it, from about 20 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwbOK4TPOM

Marc

Anonymous said...

@Alphawolf666: info in the shoutbox https://zinhof.ishoutbox.com/

Alphawolf666 said...

Thank you, I will try it.

Anonymous said...

Steve - perhaps too late In the game for you to read but...
As I understand it he left his wife ZERO in his will when he died.
Good guy he was not.
Rob