Thursday, April 06, 2023

It’s Got a Good Beat and You Can Declaim to It!

And now, with no further ado, please enjoy difficult to classify Kansas City (MO) indie artist Ethan Eckert and the video for his quite nifty new "Disarray."

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking -- hey Steve, that's not the kind of thing you normally post.

True enough. So here's the deal -- yes, I've been lucky enough, over the years, to have lots of highly interesting new music cross my desk unbidden, and as a result, I've discovered scads of stuff that means a lot to me. But, unsurprisingly, some of what I get sent is outside the genre boundaries of this here blog and my own often parochial tastes, i.e. stylistically not my normal cuppa of Pekoe. And so sure, I occasionally feel a little guilty about not giving that stuff a plug.

That said, Eckert's song and video legitimately got under my skin anyway. For starters, it's no secret that I'm a sucker for what the beatnik poets used to do (with jazzier musical accompaniments) back in the day, and so I can kinda imagine Eckert essaying something similar at the 21st century equivalent of an artsy bohemian coffee bar. For another thing, the kid has undeniable charisma and I got a genuine kick watching him swan around that minimalist backdrop like an unlikely cross between Gregory Corso and a punk rocker. And most important, the music works up an irrestible head of steam; I don't know who the drummer is, but by the end of the song he or she is really kicking ass (as is the whole band, actually.)

But enough of my yakking. You can (and should) find out more about Eckert, not to mention stream more of his music (or get the CD of the new album) over at the link HERE.

And tell 'em the old fart over at PowerPop sent you.

7 comments:

edward said...

Sounds like an outtake from T-Bone Burnett's last album, Invisible Light: Acoustic Space


Which could be a good or bad thing.

paulinca said...

Nice Marty DiBergi riff! ;)

paulinca

JB said...

It has a Flash and the Pan vibe.

steve simels said...

Flash and the Pan -- yes!

Alzo said...

It's as if Ken Nordine were backed by the Lounge Lizards.

daudder said...

Sounds a little like Talk Talk

pete said...

I don't usually go for stuff like this but I like this - maybe because the guy is from Kansas City, so in its own way it swings.