Thursday, August 13, 2026

Songs I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved (An Occasional Series): Special "Insert QAnon Joke Here" Edition

From 1970 and their sophomore Boppin' the Blues album please enjoy the original five-piece lineup of NRBQ and their hilarious and irresistible "Flat-Foot Flewzy."

As most of you guys know, our good friend Sal Nunziato has been running a "Songs That Totally Rock" sort of contest this week over at his Burning Wood blog and the above song -- which I had not heard or even pondered in five decades -- got nominated. Imagine my pleasured surprise when it turned out to be an absolute unmitigated delight after all these years.

Now excuse me while I go check out both of the Q's first two albums, which I seem to recall as being just chock full of stuff as great as that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flat Foot Flewzy is a rockin’ good way. What s band!

- Paul in DK

Cleveland Jeff said...

As much as I love the band's 20 years with Big Al Anderson, those first two with Steve Ferguson were killer. The debut, with C'mon Everybody, Rocket #9, You Can't Hide, and Mama Get Down Those Rock and Roll Shoes is a blast, and Boppin' The Blues with Carl Perkins with the title track, All Mama's Children, Sorry Charlie, Rip It Up and Allergic To Love, it's great stuff. More:
https://kleaveburg.blogspot.com/2011/01/nrbq.html

M_Sharp said...

I saw this song, and a few others, on Sal's lists, that I wasn't familiar with. I checked them out, and they're definitely rock 'n roll! There are a lot more I'll be checking out.

Rob said...

Prior to NRBQ Al fronted a band "The Wildweeds" that frequently performed in my part of Connecticut. 1967 they had a hit with "No Good To Cry"
It's worth asking Claude for info 😉

Anonymous said...

As a picker Steve Ferguson was so unique that every replacement guitarist in the Q is basically aping his style. Big Al is great in his own way but there are traces of Ferguson's frantic picking. Current guitarist Scott Ligon pivots off both Freguson and Big Al.

Ferguson released a 45 in 1971 as Hoopy Ferguson and the Wild Dogs. Both sides posted on YouTube unfortunately are scratchy with skips.

Bob in IL

pete said...

I'm a huge Uncle Q fan. May I add two mentions? First - "Wild Weekend." The second isn't really a song-choice, just an overall shout of praise to yet-to-join Tom Ardolino, world's greatest rock and roll drummer it says here.

niko said...

Go see the current iteration of the Q. Terry Adams and his crew rock as hard as any and do the name proud