Saturday, March 03, 2007

As They Say in Chicago, Da Boers, Mach 2.

So aside from being "skooled" by the Boers (no, I am not obligated to post every comment: thus "comment moderation"), it's been a quiet week here. But as we who follow the wingnut blogosphere know, once you start seeing those talking points repeated, you're no longer dealing with principled individuals, however confused, but ideologues.

Exhibit A:

Maybe your scholarship could travel into whether the Brits would ever have got as imperious as they did had they not been genetically enhanced by French, Roman, Norse and other conquests?

Exhibit B:

If you want a break from your music thinking, it might be fun for a primary expert to establish notionally whether the British would ever have reached the forcefulness they did at Empire peak had they not in turn been colonized by groups from France, Rome, Norseland, etc etc.


Okay then. I'll take that under advisement, Matthew Freaking Arnold.

Sheesh!

NB: I am done dealing with the weird pro-Boer contingent. They really seem unable to perceive where the issues are with this piece, and I leave them to their self-comforting analyses. j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every South African is paying the price of Apartheid every day of their lives. We are a nation divided, but sometimes a song like this comes along and gives the minority group in the country the reassurance that they are not alone, they do belong in South Africa and despite history, we - white, Afrikaans speaking South Africans - will never be able to call any other place home. That is what this song means to me: I am allowed to be different from the so-called true Africans, my fore-fathers fought for this place the best way they knew how. I will not deny myself the right to be called a South African, to speak my language and to practise my religion and to remember my past and celebrate my future. The majority of white South Africans feel ashamed of everything which took place under Apartheid - but we have no power to change the past and therefore we are robbed of our future. I must flee my beloved country, leaving behind everything/everyone I know and love because I live in fear for my life. The government of our country will never be held accountable for the mistakes they are making today, because in the eyes of the world - they can not possibly screw up as much as the opposition did in the past. My 10 cents: if you haven't lived it. Don't judge it.