Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Young and the Feckless

Ladies and gentlemen, one of the the most underrated bands in rock history.

For a bunch of reasons I'd rather not get into they're usually dismissed as a tiresome bunch of Woodstock hippies.

Uh-uh. As demonstrated on their first three albums, these guys had the same Brill Building pop smarts as their contemporaries the Lovin Spoonful. And they were snazzier dressers.

Here's a song that makes the point. From 1966, the Youngbloods and the ineffingly poignant Tears Are Falling.

Update: I'm delighted to learn that those above mentioned three albums have just been remastered and reissued as a two-disc set.

BTW -- the first two were produced by Mountain bassist Felix Pappalardi, a guy you may recall was killed (gunshot) by his jealous wife in the early 80s.

Guess who the Other Woman was.






A very young Courtney Love.

For some reason, that's not on her resume.

Update part deux: Alert reader Lee Shafer (who quoted stuff to me from a review of something I wrote in the 70s, and thus deserves respect from all who walk upright) says I may be wrong about Love and Pappalardi.. I knew people who worked with both of them back then, and that's what they've always told me. But I'll look into it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know who any of these people are, but steve invited me here and it would be rude to decline the invitation.

gwb:drf

Anonymous said...

ack!!! Ms. Love's mom and dad suck, I blame them for indirectly causing untold deaths and ?? numbers of celebrity addictions.Yeah, Love's parents suck.
/snark

I dig Youngbloods, only have one vinyl.

dave™© said...

BTW, seems Jesse Colin Young is now living in Hawaii and growing coffee.

The Kenosha Kid said...

Courtney Love was a groupie for 80's English band The Teardrop Explodes. They had an album called Kilimanjaro. Kilimanjaro is a MOUNTAIN...