Monday, May 19, 2008

Ciao! to My Street Cred

Okay, I heard this song in the theater the other day while waiting for Prince Caspian to start (Steve's Movie Review: Best ever flick starring a community theater/Renaissance Fair reject in the title role!) and I'm sorry, but I really like it. Apparently, I'm not only a wimp, I'm a hopeless middlebrow to boot.



I know nothing about this woman other than she may have been on Dancing With the Stars, and the video itself is awful -- sixteen pastel shades of banal. But the song gets me big time nonetheless. Yes, the central conceit -- that the feeling of falling in love is not unlike the feeling you get from hearing a great record for the first time -- is hardly new, but it still resonates, and as far as I'm concerned that ascending octave riff in the build-up to the chorus is an absolutely genius hook. Plus, the whole thing is just fiendishly catchy, the band rocks authoritatively, and the singing isn't horrible for a dancer.

I think what I'm trying to say is -- if nothing on the radio was any worse than this, the world would be a far better place.

(Oh, and speaking of Prince Caspian and the whole community theater thing, I have a hopefully amusing visual take on it over at Box Office today. Leave a comment and an angel gets his wings.)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Well, I could have done without the stupid ocean/seagulls thing at the end, and that must be the longest boardwalk on the planet (I know, clever editing) but other than that, you are correct, sir.

Anonymous said...

You're right, she's not much of a singer but the band does rock.

ROTP(lumber)

Ali said...

Those are some eyelashes.