Tuesday, May 13, 2008

No Fat Chicks!*

Courtesy of the corporate weasels at Sony/Columbia, I got Gossip's Live in Liverpool CD/DVD package in the mail last week, and I've been checking it out.



My immediate short take (as per a discussion with our pal the incomparable Virgotex):

I have no doubt that if I was fifteen years old and deeply alienated and/or gay, I would absolutely love -- nay, lurve -- this band. And with good reason, because they would be talking to me -- powerfully and directly.

But since I'm neither, what I hear, basically, is just another band without a bass player, all of whom (with the exception, barely, of the White Stripes) suck by definition. And that includes Sleater/Kinney, who had a lot more on the ball than this bunch, both musically and in terms of sexual politics.

It’s an affectation, is what I’m saying, and an annoying one.

IMHO.

*And don't yell at me about the sexist title. Obviously it's a joke, stolen, in this case, from a Matt Groening Life in Hell strip featuring "Sullen Teen Magazine."

9 comments:

Rinjo Njori! said...

In college I lived in an all male dorm. The t-shirt for our dorm (Draper Hall) had a big fat chick on the front and the tag line on the back of the shirt was "Fat Chicks Rock". Of course all the chicks gave our dorm another horrible name (D)Raper Hall. Now which is worse?

Wendy said...

Now which is worse?

Well, one comment was based on appearance, the other on behavior ...

steve simels said...

Now which is worse?


I don't know -- you were in college. Pretty much everybody would be an asshole....

Rinjo Njori! said...

Asshole implies your being mean on purpose. Stupid assholes fits better since we all didn't know better-- both the boys and girls.

But back to the music... The Gossip is so undeserving of any coverage. They had there 15 minutes last year.

steve simels said...

Stupid assholes fits better since we all didn't know better-- both the boys and girls.


Oh, okay. I didn't get your point before -- but yes. Nobody had the high ground....

Anonymous said...

I hate to go against the grain here, but I kind of like these guys. The girl is actually singing, and after a generation of the post-Madonna breathy whisper that counts for a lot.

steve simels said...

She can sing alright -- not terribly subtle, but since she has to carry the band she's doing the right stuff. Of course, if they had a goddamn bass player, she wouldn't HAVE to carry the band....

Anonymous said...

They're ok, no worst then Jethro Tull or Ten Years After from our dismal past. Two bands that weren't all that good but didn't suck.

ROTP(lumber)

PS: I rarely listen to lyrics so I have no idea about the sexual politics and could care less. All I care is if something sounds good.

GOING NOWHERE said...

ummm there is a bass player...bass line in the song and masked bass player in video

song is still bleh