Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Poetry: The Shorthand of Beauty

Our good friend and fellow blogger The Kenosha Kid calls our attention to this recent unholy shtup between Heart and annoying pop tart Fergie, which is indeed heinous.



On the other hand, this was a pretty dopey song well before the star of It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown got her untalented mitts on it.

Seriously, what the hell is this supposed to mean?
Back over time we were all
Trying for free
You met the porpoise and me


And this -- are we to believe it's a metaphor of some kind?
You lying so low in the weeds
I bet you gonna ambush me
You'd have me down down down down on my knees
Now wouldnt you, barracuda?




Seriously -- for the life of me, if there's a connection being made between the great fish above and something sexual(?), it's way too subtle for me to grasp.

8 comments:

Noam Sane said...

Kung-kunga-chung-kunga-chung. Wayrrrrrrrr, woo-oo-oo!

steve simels said...

Ditto!
:-)

The Kenosha Kid said...

Hey, I tipped you to the much more irksome version that was performed on the Today show this week!

Wendy said...

Sexual predator? With big teeth? Hmmmmm ... Sea World's answer to the Big Bad Wolf?

steve simels said...

TKK:

Oops...switched the video....

TJWood said...

The story, according to the Heart Behind The Music episode, is that the lyric was inspired by the ad for Heart's first album that portrayed the two Wilson sisters as lesbian lovers and the response Ann Wilson got from a certain record exec from Heart's then-label or whatever as a result. I would guess the barracuda would be the exec while "the porpoise and me" would be Ann and her sister Nancy Wilson. Got it? Me neither. All I know is that I thought nothing could top Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" song in terms of sheer irritation, but this---oh my....

geor3ge said...

It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown

Heh. That reminds me of how I used to dis Arnold Schwarzenegger whenever someone insisted on watching "Terminator".

"Oh, hey, it's that guy from Kindergarten Cop."

shrimplate said...

When the movie "Jaws" first came out, a group of us all got on something then went to the theater and rooted for the shark.

Makes as much sense...

Actually, I see that last bit about the barracuda being a possible reference to a hit song that sucked the souls out of the Wilson sisters. It's their freebird.