Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Talk to the Wool Hat!

From 1972, Mike Nesmith invents psychedelic country rock with this quite remarkable twelve-string and pedal steel version of the venerable cajun classic "Bonaparte's Retreat."





All of Nesmith's post-Monkees RCA albums are worth checking out -- his unplugged And The Hits Just Keep On Comin' is perhaps the definitive backporch folk/rock album ever -- but this one is the most, er, out there of the bunch, as you can hear from the above clip. Seriously -- I realize he didn't invent the acid-C&W genre all by himself, but I think the track is an absolutely brilliant synthesis of traditional country and the kind of jamming you would have heard from a San Francisco band in front of a light show back in the day.

4 comments:

TMink said...

Whoa, the massed vocals sound great through my laptop speakers. I need to hear this one on vinyl.

Trey

Noam Sane said...

When I was a kid, there was a girl that rode my schoolbus.

Her name was JoAnne, and she lived in a meadow by a pond.

Seriously.

Also, a typically awesome tune/arrangement from Mr. Knit Hat.

Makes me want to go home and watch "Elephant Parts".

steve simels said...

You know, I think I need to post that Joanne video. With the big lizard stomp...

JJO said...

Peter Stampfel would like a word with you out back.