Thursday, May 06, 2010

Lost in Translation

And speaking as we were last week of Brenda Lee's rather astonishing cover of "What I'd Say," (featuring Jimmy Page), British reader Walking Oliver was kind enough to send us an album anthologizing almost two dozen covers of the Ray Charles classic, ranging from the sublime to the surreal, and I thought I'd share.

Here's perhaps my favorite, by quintessential French yeh-yeh babe of the Sixties, the extremely adorable Sylvie Vartan.




Est-ce que tu le sais indeed. Let's just say that if I'd bumped into anybody who looked like that on my last two French vacations, I'd be posting this from the actual Paris rather than the Paris of the Tri-State Metropolitan Area.

5 comments:

Dave said...

This makes up for Bev Bevan.

Noam Sane said...

Shane MacGowan called, he wants his teeth back.

Walking Oliver Productions, Ltd said...

I'm with you on this one, Steve. Funny and kinda hot at the same time. Makes me wish I was a pigeon.
:-)
PK

Wendy said...

Wiseguy. :-)

MBowen said...

Cute.

Man, those French girls were cute back in the day: Sylvie Vartan, France Gall, and the divine Françoise Hardy.