Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Voices From the Tomb

From their 1971 Message from the Country, please enjoy The Move -- featuring sepulchral-voiced drummer Bev Bevan -- and the faux Johnny Cash song to end all faux Johnny Cash songs, "The Ben Crawley Steel Company."




Bevan used that same Bizarro World basso profundo on some of the Move's 60s stuff, but I hadn't heard any of that when I first listened to Message, and frankly I was floored. A part of me still doesn't believe he actually sings like that without benefit of recording studio trickery. As for the song itself (by Move founding genius Roy Wood), it would be a hoot no matter what voice it was performed with; come to think of it, I'd love to hear it by a faux Neil Young.

9 comments:

steve simels said...

Note to self: Obscure Brits with amazing hair and strange voices less interesting to readers than hoped.

Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary said...

Oh, don't bet so hard on yourself - I listened to at least half of it. Hey - remember the Little Theatre 40 years ago tonight?

Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary said...

I meant "be", not bet. But go ahead, bet on yourself if you'd like.

cthulhu said...

Interesting...a little goes a long way, though.

Hellacious drummer, too, although not evident on that track - but check out some of the lesser-known ELO stuff like "Kuiama" and "Fire on High" for some tasty drumming. My sister had a huge crush on him; I think it was the hair...

steves said...

I can accept the depth of his voice, but I can't believe a Brit can nail that below-the-Mason-Dixon-line accent so well.

He's better than Hugh Laurie!

Edward said...

Sounds like the Beat Farmers on a bad day.

dSmith said...

What happened to Box Office?

Anonymous said...

Bev's voice sounds as if it was lowered by some kind of voice filter.

ROTP(lumber)

Dave said...

It's interesting. But leprosy is interesting, too.