Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Way They Were

The (then Young) Rascals. From 1966. "What is the Reason."




Sweet jeebus, what a great song; I can't believe it was a B-side (of the admittedly epochal "Come On Up," in fact). And I'd totally forgotten about it until thoughtful reader Lawrence Dunn mentioned that the Rascals, at the urging of no less than Little Steven, had performed it at the recent Rascals reunion show.

Oh...have I mentioned that there was a Rascals reunion show? Yeah, there was, three weeks ago, also at the urging of Little Steven, who is a living saint if there is one. The Rascals hadn't played together, with one brief exception, for 40 years, and had no intention of ever doing so again, but Steve convinced them to do it for a worthy charity.

The short version is -- they totally killed. And it was recorded.


Click on the link here and then scroll down for the zip file of the show. Trust me, it's transcendent stuff.

6 comments:

AMIT said...

Nice post and i like the picture.

Web hosting india

Gummo said...

Wow.

Thanks!

Sal Nunziato said...

I've been on a Rascals kick since 1972. I see no relief.

MJConroy said...

Thanks for the link! I had missed the live broadcast. I e-mailed Kid Leo and he replied that they were working on a rebroadcast. He then hinted at it on air, but I have not heard an announcement yet.
Listening to start of it now - sound good.

MJConroy said...

Found some videos from the show:
http://www.young-rascals.com/reunion-videos.htm

DeepKarma said...

Absolutely incredible...never heard this one before. I had already downloaded the Sal file, but hadn't unzipped it yet. I think I'm gonna correct that oversight like NOW.