Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Video Pick

A big, slightly pretentious, roundup of new DVDs and Blu-ray stuff will be going up tomorrow, but while I'm putting the finishing touches on it, I just wanted to say that the new (frame by frame) restored edition of The Beatles' Yellow Submarine is absolutely to die for.

Lots of neat bonuses with the set, including a commentary track featuring original animator Heinz Edelmann, plus some very cool reproductions of some original character design animation cels. And of course the soundtrack has been remixed into serene perfection.

But the movie looks just astonishingly good, especially on the Blu-ray. Actually, it's so beautiful that I've kind of changed my mind about the film itself, which I have always found somewhat less charming than most folks. In fact, at this point I can even overlook the fact that Erich (Love Story) Segal had a hand in it.

Better late than never, I guess.

7 comments:

Gummo said...

I've loved Yellow Submarine since I first saw it in the movies at the tender age of 13.

Glad to hear this new release lives up to the hype; can't wait to get it.

Brooklyn Girl said...

I never paid much attention to the story ... the visuals were so incredible, I didn't perceive much else. :-)

Gummo said...

One of things to remember is that, at the time none of us had ever seen a cartoon like it. It really was something new: the brilliant mash-up of visual styles, the "fairy tale for adults" tongue-in-cheek story and tone. The only full-length animated films before it had been Disney's; Yellow Submarine couldn't have been less like Disney.

Just like 2001 was a clear historic turning point in science fiction films, Yellow Submarine was the same for animated films.

steves said...

Is this the second restoration? I could have sworn they did this already about 10 years ago. In fact, I'm sure of it. I have the DVD right here. This new one sounds more "deluxe," however.

steve simels said...

Yes, this is a second restoration.

The 1999/2000 version was done for MGM.UA. Since then, the rights reverted to Apple.

And this version was literally done frame by frame.

FD13NYC said...

I too, saw this in the movies at a tender young age of 13. The firat restoration, which I have, will suffice just fine.

Anonymous said...

you don't look Bluish.